Whokam
1 Nickel

m15, adding an M.2 drive

Hey all,

So hopefully in the next few days I'll be getting my M15. With the drive configs available in the UK, I ended up just going for the 256gb m.2 ssd, with the plan to then add a second larger one myself.

Just wondered if anyone that had an M15 who bought it with one drive would be able to check/advise if the second slot came with the necessary hardware for adding a second drive in (believe it would need a standoff and a screw). 

Just seen a few comments spread around suggesting that either the standoff or screw, or both, might not be present for the second drive.

Cheers

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: Adding an m.2 drive to the M15

Hi @Whokam,

You'll need the screw. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Whokam
1 Nickel

Thank you for the quick reply Smiley Happy

Gives me chance to get one sorted in readiness. 

0 Kudos
Whokam
1 Nickel

Sorry, just one more question on this as I can't fully make this out from the service manual.

What size is the screw?

In the part of the service manual that talks about removing an m.2 2280 drive at one point it says to remove the "M2x2 screw the secures solid-state drive to the solid-state drive bracket" and then later on in the part about replacing the drive back, it says "Replace the screw (M2x3)..."

Both pictures show a small black screw that according to the parts list at the start of the document is an M2x3 screw.

Is this something you could clarify Eimy? (or anyone else!)

Thx

0 Kudos

@Whokam,

It should be M2x3.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Whokam
1 Nickel

@Alienware-Eimy

Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
blinky44
1 Nickel

Make sure you get a M2 3x4. I had a bunch of screws laying around from a tablet and one of them worked. It needs a bit wider head than normal. Note you do have to remove the screw and bracket from the existing one to install. Existing one in my M15 was an Intel M2 500GB. Main bottom cover was not too bad to get off either and nice that they don't cover one screw with a label. According to Dell no warranty issues if you remove the cover just turn off the laptop (duh).

0 Kudos
Whokam
1 Nickel

Hmm, I ordered some m2x3 ones from Amazon as they mentioned they were laptop m.2 / wifi card screws. I'll have to see how I get on with them.

Laptop arrived today and has been great so far. Oddly enough, I didn't go for the upgraded Killer wifi card, I stuck with the standard Dell one (our UK spec M15's are a bit different to the US ones) and it still came with Killer software installed so I had the activation issue until I killed the Killer process.

I've had the back off and there are no heat sinks over the m.2 drive area. I just went for the base 256gb one (we don't get the option for a single 512gb or single 1tb which would have covered what i wanted!). So with the 256gb one, I've then got a 1tb drive to add in the second slot. 

No covers (other than the back) to remove, just need the screw to hold the drive in. I can imagine that I'd be best off with the copper heat sink cover that seems to come with the machine if you go for a 2 drive option, so I'll be contacting Dell customer support about getting one of those. 

All been good so far. I'm incredibly impressed with the build and form of the laptop.

0 Kudos
Whokam
1 Nickel

@blinky44

You were definitely right that a standard M2x3 screw has a head that seems a little too small.

It is just catching on the m.2 SSD and keeping it tight, but the screw holding the m.2 drive in that came from the factory, which in the service manual just states m2x3 definitely has a bigger head than the ones I got. 

Got the callipers out on mine and the head is about 3.9mm diameter which looking on ebay/amazon is about all that seems available here in the UK.

Tried customer support, but they've said I'm best taking it up with the UK spares and upgrades team, but the only number available was a premium rate '0871' number so I haven't tried them yet for the sake of a screw that should be pennies.

I am really surprised that as these machines are meant to be user upgradable, that something as simple as a screw for the spare m.2 slot isn't either included, or given as an option when buying the laptop, particularly when them seem to be a bit of a pain to try and get hold of.

AlrxoRex
1 Copper

So I just bought this laptop, and I'm curious about the heatsink, were you able to get a dual heatsink and how you solved the screw part. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos