m15 crashing all the time

I have recently bought an m15 (144 Hz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB, 1TB+128GB). I mainly play Rainbow Six Siege on this laptop on high settings (not very high, or ultra). Randomly, while playing the game the laptop will freeze and become unresponsive. I've left it alone like that for over an hour but nothing happens, the screen freezes and no response from the keyboard or anything. The only option that I know of is force turning it off and back on again.

A few days back, it started checking for media presence while booting up with the LAN cable. Somehow, the secure boot got turned off.

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Re: m15 crashing all the time

Side note: the checking media issue was resolved by turning the secure boot "on" in the boot options. Another small issue is that for some reason, AW OC Controls isn't installing on this laptop. It was installed before and worked fine, but then a new update said to uninstall any previous version of OC Controls, reboot and install again. Firstly, Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software (which was downloaded through the Alienware Command Centre itself), then I clicked on "Install this driver software anyway" and encountered "Error 0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation." This is the log file from the installation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=197w8W4p6gF-N99vN2oKviTxHJhHRdnqx
0 Kudos

Hi @Insidious_Black

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let us know if you receive any errors. 

Also, make sure the BIOS and video drivers are up to date.

Regarding OC Controls:

You can only use the OC settings if you have an overclock-able K series processor, please check which type of processor is in your system configuration.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

I have an i7-8750H processor which isn't overclockable, but it was my understanding that AWCC needed OC Control to even monitor temperatures and thermal profiles.

I only want to be able to monitor my temperatures and set the thermal profile.

0 Kudos

On running the diagnostic test, no errors were found.

I have BIOS version 2.1.1 for this laptop, which I believe is the latest version. The same goes for all the video drivers.

0 Kudos

Please try the following steps to download all of the available add-ons for your system:

-Download AWCC full from https://dell.to/2GtNp4c.

-After running the app post-installation, a green button should appear on the top-right corner asking to Get Updates.

-Once clicked, an MS Store pop-up will ask for MSA information before proceeding to install all add-ons.

-If this fails, download these add-ons from the MS Store (In the store application, look for My Library, these should appear under Alienware Command Center): FXSystems, FX02, OC Controls, Sound Center and Control center.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

@Alienware - Rodrigo I did all those steps, and when I clicked the "Get updates" tab and entered my MSA information, it showed that I already had the apps necessary. On the MS Store, it shows the sizes to be 6.25MB for OC Controls and 129.58MB for FX Systems. However, under the AWCC app in Settings the sizes shown are vastly different.image.pngPlease see the sizes shown under AWCC

And even now, I'm unable to monitor my temperatures or set thermal profiles. This (the photo below) is the prompt shown to download OC Controls (a version from June 17 2019, while there is a newer version on July 9). It shows that there was a fatal error - 0x80070643 occured during installation.

Log file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FjR7m00Q_4gEeEvwfiBjl92cBthNObC2

image.pngThis is what it shows, as a prompt to download OC Controls

0 Kudos

The OC Controls error message should be fixed in a new AWCC version that will be released in August. Please hold.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
BlackViking168
1 Copper

Hello Insidious_Black,

I have the exact same issue with my m15 (144 Hz, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB, 1TB+128GB). My PC  will freeze randomly and specially when gaming and become completely unresponsive. The only option that i would have will be to do a hard restart by pressing  on the power button to force a shutdown. Could you please tell me how did you resolve the issue. It's becoming very hard and frustrating for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
barty666
1 Copper

Hi,

I have the exact same issues (m15 i7-8750H, RTX2060); crashing constantly during game play across a number of games.  PC crashes (unresponsive or bluescreen) almost always then boots up and fails to find hard drive (BIOS has reverted to windows boot manager as 3rd choice, change back and boots as normal).  

Somehow related to AWCC - after crashing AWCC has to be restarted - 'please wait ~30 secs for configuration' - and then restarts programme after re-authorising it to make changes to the system.  Although, having uninstalled AWCC crashing still re-occurs. 

I have been through Dell Support, resulted in a clean install of W10 and re-install of AWCC as per the instructions provided by the Dell  Technician.

Has anyone managed to get this issue resolved?  I'm at a loss, my only thought left is an issue with the hard drive itself.

0 Kudos