Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2019 14:00

m15, downgrade from BIOS 2.0.4?

I've updated my bios on my m15 to the latest version 2.0.4, however, the custom thermal profiles stopped working and the fans are now always on, even tho the system is at around 40 degrees in quiet mode. Unless there is a fix coming, I'd like to go back to the 1.4.1 where the custom profiles worked, as now the laptop is very noisy and not very usable in quiet environments. However, when trying to install the older version, it says that downgrade is not allowed. Is there a workaround how to downgrade the bios or any other way of making custom thermal profiles work again?

Thanks.

7 Posts

June 4th, 2019 15:00

So I've managed to downgrade it using the BIOS Recovery. One of the admin gave me these steps, I was trying to do it before, but couldn't get it to work. This time, I had secure boot in bios disabled, don't know if that helped but pretty much follow this and in the recovery screen, select BIOS Rollback and that will flash the previous version you had installed.

How to Initiate BIOS Recovery

1. Verify that the device is powered OFF and disconnect the AC adapter or power source.
  2. Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard (Ensure primary Battery is 30% charge)
  3. Plug in the AC adapter or power source to the device.
  4. Release the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard.
  5. Select Rollback BIOS in the BIOS Recovery and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 18:00

Hi, 

We are sorry to hear about these issues. Please send us a private message with your Service Tag number, so we can look further into this. 

June 4th, 2019 15:00

I'm having the exact same issue. Could you post the solution here? Thank you.

June 4th, 2019 21:00

Lorrisek, THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! You saved my day! That worked perfectly!

Hope Dell release one BIOS version that allows users to control their fans (at least, once you should undervolt, overclock a GAMER PC)... it makes no sense they just change the fan RPM curve mandatory in a machine that supposedly is for advanced users.  

June 6th, 2019 08:00

Same Problem for me, I can´t go to the new BIOS! Looking forward for a fix, I nearly never play with this notebook. I use it for work, for this it is important to have a quiet notebook.

2 Posts

June 7th, 2019 15:00

I had to downgrade to 1.4.1, but now I have my fan control and silence back :)

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

June 8th, 2019 05:00

Thank you so much for this Information! Finally it is possible to work again on the m15 without the constant noise from the fans. It is also possible to just download the 1.4.1 bios exe an then to flash back. There will be a note that dell does not recommend the downgrade to an older bios version but it does work. And i got my silence back too! I hope there will be an update from dell to fix this noise issue on the new bios versions. 

7 Posts

June 9th, 2019 07:00

Yes, if your laptop is running a BIOS version lower than 2.0.4 you can downgrade by just downloading and running the .eve file from dell support website, however, if your laptop is running a BIOS 2.0.4 or higher this option is blocked and you have to downgrade following the steps above :)

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

June 9th, 2019 08:00

Ah, ok. On my m15 there was the bios version 1.6.2. But i had the same noise-problem you described. So im happy that it was possible to downgrade again to 1.4.1 so easy. I wont upgrade the bios till Dell solved this noise-problem because i do not only play with the m15, it is also my pc for work.

June 11th, 2019 16:00

Any version of the BIOS above 1.4.1 has this problem! That's why I think was not a Dell mistake, but they intended to change fan curve activation. Alienware M15 is widely known for being a "hot computer", I think Dell tried to cool it down by changing fans RPM curve to activate in temperature above 40c. The problem is, the RPM they choose is 60-64% of the fan rotation, which is too much noise! If they left something like 30%, I'm very much sure it'd bother that much... maybe, with many people complaining about this, they change it. 

The heat used to be an issue and concern for me using this computer... it constantly hit 99C playing any game. But after repaste it and undervolt it, it doesn't go above 80C and the performance increased significantly for long period gaming. 

2 Posts

June 13th, 2019 07:00

I agree, this has to be intentional. But the fan runs all the time at the higher BIOS versions, even when just sitting there idle not doing anything (for me at least).

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

June 13th, 2019 12:00

Yes it may be intentional but for me the m15 is useless when the fans run all the time even in idle. With the 1.4.1 bios everything is fine for me. When playing Battlefield V the fans run at high speed but i dont care because i use my headset. But when i have to work with word or excel or just browse the internet i expect the pc to be (almost)quiet.

June 26th, 2019 13:00

The new BIOS ver. 2.1.1 still having the same issue, don't even try to install... I don't think Dell is listening to us... This is the 5th or 6th update ALL with the same problem! 

1 Rookie

• 

113 Posts

July 3rd, 2019 07:00

Thanks for that information. I cant understand that dell doesnt solve this noise problem. Should not be too difficult to manage fan-controls like in the 1.4.1 bios. 

13 Posts

July 31st, 2019 09:00

Dell/Alienware needs to fix this crappy bios for once. Extremely **bleep** for paying so much money on machine, which sounds like a vacuum cleaner 24/7.

No Events found!