Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 11th, 2021 12:00

m15, no power up, battery dead?

Hi guys,

Yesterday my alienware m15 worked great. Today it won't start. No power up, no reaction at all.

Could not explain it to myself and opened it to see battery cells that look like they are swollen. Might that be the problem?

What else can I check to make sure the laptop is okay?

Thanks for help.

20210111_210309.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

January 11th, 2021 12:00

The battery is definitely swollen and needs to be removed ASAP. If you remove the battery and plug in the power adapter and you still get no power then you have a bigger issue. If there is still no power then your motherboard is probably dead. 

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

January 11th, 2021 17:00

Hi @volker_schmidt  there is guidance in Manuals and Documents for Handling swollen Lithium-ion batteries. Please take the very necessary personal precautions when removing your swollen battery, also its removal is essential because the m15 is at risk of irreversible damage. 

With the battery removed, it should be possible to boot your m15 with the ac adapter plugged in. If not, please check the ac adapter, does its power cord led work before and after being connected to the laptop? 

Please share an update. Thank you. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

January 13th, 2021 05:00

You can call Dell, but they'll only sell the battery with service/installation.

Other option if you're in the US,

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=31903

January 13th, 2021 05:00

I disconnected the battery and the laptop runs fine. My work laptop had the same issue and also my xps has slightly swollen battery. It seems like a larger issue. Where do I buy the new battery?

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

January 13th, 2021 07:00

Hi @volker_schmidt  thank you for sharing update that your laptop runs fine on ac power adapter. This is very good news.

The larger issue is that these batteries may have been in storage for more than two years with the Lithium-ion chemistry cooking away, before they are put into a new laptop. The Windows 10 Battery Report will tell you its actual age. That's the trouble with built-in batteries, and they are difficult to replace. 

As you have only disconnected the battery, the chemistry continues and if it bursts or otherwise gets punctured, you will have a real safety problem. WARNING: Do not wait, carefully remove from laptop, get it out of the house and carefully dispose of this hazard now!  Dell seemingly does not sell replacement Lithium-ion batteries anymore.

Dell computers are very particular. Only get a vendor certified replacement new Dell OEM battery, e.g. PartsPeople, etc. 

No Events found!