Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

44 Posts

April 5th, 2019 14:00

m15, overheating out of the box, options?

So I've got this m15 beauty for about 2 weeks now and since day one overheating was noticeable; like 60° for just surfing the web and 101° for gaming, any game. Should I get and exchange or change the heat sink/repaste? Things that I have done before calling support were:

1- Reinstalling windows

2- Updating BIOS to 1.5.2

3- Disabling turbo boost and undervolting using ThrottleStop

4- Reducing Maximum CPU Power from %100 to %99 in windows power options

5- Changing settings in Command Center

Now, some of these actually reduced the temperature by 25°, but made the system unstable and I experienced lags in games. I actually had lags in games even before doing these. So what do you guys think? Should I change the heat sink on this one or get a whole new exchange? I had M15x before and I was so happy with it and I am so happy with this one as well, but this heat issue is what reduces the life span of my device.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 5th, 2019 16:00

44 Posts

April 5th, 2019 21:00

Thanks, but that article is not actually a solution. It is actually an explanation of something that we already know. Probably I would go for an exchange. But my fear is that they send me a unit that was opened to fix the temp or that the new unit will overheat as well.

April 7th, 2019 12:00

Ill tell you my story, around two moths ago I have ordered my m15 with RTX 2070, from the first day i got PC had identical problems on IDLE temperatures were between 55-65 and spiking to 90 while gaming constant 100 degrees, contacted Dell got engineer on the site to replace heating and fans, engineer came in week later with wrongs parts and at the end he has shortened GPU so PC has been bricked :D. Contacted Dell again it took week or to to decide to replace PC and maybe other 3 weeks to ship PC to me, so my experience with DELL complete disaster. Finally got my replacement, temperatures are ok IDLE 35-39 while browsing internet or any other easy work temperatures up to 60 degrees all good. Gaming is a different story. Dell alien command center is one big bug. But anyway lets go back to temperatures while gaming, so they were up to 98 degrees max but average were around 80-85 depends on the game if game is CPU intensive so temperatures might reach 90-98 degrees quickly. So what i did I have reinstalled windows 10 from scratch and didn't install command center . Installed Intel XTU undervolted by -135 mV temperatures good and acceptable with little spikes up to 92 to single cores but package itself never goes up 90. Installed command centre again -temperatures got higher. So windows native thermal management works better and dell FX fusion or fx is just other bloatware. So had to reinstall windows again. Next to say id a thermopaste, the one used original , is a complete **bleep** that should not be used on gaming laptops so if i would repast with grizzly thermal paste temperatures would be much lower. So this is my experience with this expensive laptop. I hope my answer will help you to decide what to do next.

44 Posts

April 7th, 2019 13:00

Thanks, I think I go with an exchange, but I'm afraid they send me a refurbished unit. However, I have one question. If you don't have Command Center, how can you customize light effects on your device?

April 7th, 2019 23:00

no you cant manage lights, in my case i got stuck with default keyboard lights, and cant uses macro keys.

44 Posts

April 8th, 2019 23:00

I am waiting for my exchange to see what happens. I will probably use ThrottleStop or reduce CPU max power. It's better than uninstalling Command Center. The whole beauty of this machine is in its key colors and the alien head.

44 Posts

April 9th, 2019 23:00

@JasonLLadid it work?

April 12th, 2019 12:00

no you wont loose your warranty if you do repaste yourself if you do not damage any components doing it , confirmed by DELL

April 14th, 2019 09:00

Today i have installed second ssd instead of sshd so with the same laptop opening i have repasted cpu and gpu witg grizly thermopaste, now on idle i have 33-45 degrees , while gaming ? i have undervolted by -135mV and used WOT game to test as this game is very CPU intensive and heats up CPU quickly, so temperatures were max 89 degrees and average 74. So have to say I can live with that.

44 Posts

April 16th, 2019 23:00

@Andrius.Karpas wrote:
Today i have installed second ssd instead of sshd so with the same laptop opening i have repasted cpu and gpu witg grizly thermopaste, now on idle i have 33-45 degrees , while gaming ? i have undervolted by -135mV and used WOT game to test as this game is very CPU intensive and heats up CPU quickly, so temperatures were max 89 degrees and average 74. So have to say I can live with that.

Also, I forgot to ask you what software you used to undervolt? I used TS for -125 but it didn't do any good. However, by setting the maximum cpu power in windows from 100% to 99%, I managed to reduce nearly 20° while sacrificing OC, coz my base clock speed was capped at 2.20Ghz.

44 Posts

April 16th, 2019 23:00

@Andrius.Karpas wrote:

buddy, can you tell me what do I need to exactly do the same as you? Should I buy a set of screwdrivers and heat pads (those yellow tapes that are on heatsink)? I am really afraid of opening this. I don't want to destroy my unit.

May 7th, 2019 13:00

At first i have used XTU, -135mV was something ok but with new demand cpu intensive games ( Tom Clancys the division 2) temperatures were hitting 95, wasn't happy with this so uninstalled XTU and downloaded Throtlestop. Undervolted by -135mV and changed turbo boost to max 36 or 35 ratio to be max up to 3.4Ghz. Created a task schedule to run Throtlestop at startup. So all good now, max temp up to 89 while average 70-80 degress. FPS the same at some points even higher than before.

44 Posts

May 9th, 2019 21:00

@Andrius.Karpas wrote:

At first i have used XTU, -135mV was something ok but with new demand cpu intensive games ( Tom Clancys the division 2) temperatures were hitting 95, wasn't happy with this so uninstalled XTU and downloaded Throtlestop. Undervolted by -135mV and changed turbo boost to max 36 or 35 ratio to be max up to 3.4Ghz. Created a task schedule to run Throtlestop at startup. So all good now, max temp up to 89 while average 70-80 degress. FPS the same at some points even higher than before.

Listen to what happened to me. I received an upgraded exchange. From 512 SSD to 1TB SSD, from GTX 1070MQ to RTX 2070MQ and from 180W adapter to 240W adapter, but am in process of getting another exchange as this one not only overheats, but also has light leakage in the corners of display. BUT, I will do exactly what you did as soon as I receive my new exchange.

No Events found!