Highlighted
2 Iron

Re: m15, overheating out of the box, options?

@Andrius.Karpas wrote:
Today i have installed second ssd instead of sshd so with the same laptop opening i have repasted cpu and gpu witg grizly thermopaste, now on idle i have 33-45 degrees , while gaming ? i have undervolted by -135mV and used WOT game to test as this game is very CPU intensive and heats up CPU quickly, so temperatures were max 89 degrees and average 74. So have to say I can live with that.

buddy, can you tell me what do I need to exactly do the same as you? Should I buy a set of screwdrivers and heat pads (those yellow tapes that are on heatsink)? I am really afraid of opening this. I don't want to destroy my unit.

Highlighted
2 Iron

@Andrius.Karpas wrote:
Today i have installed second ssd instead of sshd so with the same laptop opening i have repasted cpu and gpu witg grizly thermopaste, now on idle i have 33-45 degrees , while gaming ? i have undervolted by -135mV and used WOT game to test as this game is very CPU intensive and heats up CPU quickly, so temperatures were max 89 degrees and average 74. So have to say I can live with that.

Also, I forgot to ask you what software you used to undervolt? I used TS for -125 but it didn't do any good. However, by setting the maximum cpu power in windows from 100% to 99%, I managed to reduce nearly 20° while sacrificing OC, coz my base clock speed was capped at 2.20Ghz.

Highlighted
1 Copper

At first i have used XTU, -135mV was something ok but with new demand cpu intensive games ( Tom Clancys the division 2) temperatures were hitting 95, wasn't happy with this so uninstalled XTU and downloaded Throtlestop. Undervolted by -135mV and changed turbo boost to max 36 or 35 ratio to be max up to 3.4Ghz. Created a task schedule to run Throtlestop at startup. So all good now, max temp up to 89 while average 70-80 degress. FPS the same at some points even higher than before.

Highlighted
2 Iron

@Andrius.Karpas wrote:

At first i have used XTU, -135mV was something ok but with new demand cpu intensive games ( Tom Clancys the division 2) temperatures were hitting 95, wasn't happy with this so uninstalled XTU and downloaded Throtlestop. Undervolted by -135mV and changed turbo boost to max 36 or 35 ratio to be max up to 3.4Ghz. Created a task schedule to run Throtlestop at startup. So all good now, max temp up to 89 while average 70-80 degress. FPS the same at some points even higher than before.

Listen to what happened to me. I received an upgraded exchange. From 512 SSD to 1TB SSD, from GTX 1070MQ to RTX 2070MQ and from 180W adapter to 240W adapter, but am in process of getting another exchange as this one not only overheats, but also has light leakage in the corners of display. BUT, I will do exactly what you did as soon as I receive my new exchange.