Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2018 11:00

m15, temperature 100°C, thermal throttling

I just got my new laptop m15 and its running too hot, I ran XTU benchmark and the temperature was 100°C while playing rise of the tomb raider was at 75°C then 82°C then 92°C then 100°C! both fans running at 100% nothing is blocking the airflow. I tried under volt still the same, checked temperature options on alienware command center was in performance, tried laptop stand with fans still the same. While running benchmark on UTX thermal throttling and power limit throttling was yellow and the status in yes.

5d0d5fd.png905ea67.png

20 Posts

November 30th, 2018 12:00

I found something interesting, if I use laptop with only battery, temperature stays below 70, once I plug in it will reach 100, doing the same stuff and I don't see a difference in performace betwen battery and power supply (I was playing battlefiled V). Have you try this?

@Joe1984PS wrote:

105 Celsius is not normal, Intel specifies that the junction temperature for this processor is 100 Celsius, everything over 100 is taking life out of you processor, I'm not getting a replacement weird because in my company this is considered a out of box failure. they will replace the heatsink and fans if that does not solve my problem I will send it back I have nothing against dell but its a very expensive computer.

24 Posts

November 30th, 2018 13:00

I was looking at the service manual and the voltage regulators are under the heatsink, maybe they are the reason of the overheat, I was using this laptop with the charger all the time.

look at this picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DwyHghPwzUsnofyOwwtIotlczZZkiOUL/view?usp=sharing

Re: Brand new Alienware m15 temperature 100C! thermal thrott - Page 2 - Dell Community
I found something interesting, if I use laptop with only battery, temperature stays below 70, once I plug in it will reach 100, doing the same stuff and I don't see a difference in performace betwen battery and power supply (I was playing battlefiled V). Have you try this?

I will try today after they replace my heatsink.

24 Posts

November 30th, 2018 20:00

at the end my problem was the heat sink maybe was a defective batch.

24 Posts

December 6th, 2018 07:00

A dell tech came to my house :BigSmile:

4 Posts

December 6th, 2018 07:00

did you replace the heatsink yourself or was it sent back to Dell?

4 Posts

December 6th, 2018 09:00

Can you tell the the steps you took to get your heatsink replaced by a tech? I didn't get premium support but I'm pretty sure if my heatsink is faulty it's covered under the limited warranty

24 Posts

December 6th, 2018 09:00

open the supportassist app from dell and click on get support, you will see the contact options give them a call and choose tech support, they are going to ask you for your express service code it will be right there under the number you dialed, the tech is going to ask you to reboot your laptop and press F12 several time to get to the boot option list and select diagnostic (I'm pretty sure the diagnostic tool will tell you that all pass) the you will reboot open the supportassist again and he will connect remotely to you pc to run some stress test if is overheating he is going to create a dispatch order to replace your heat sink and fans.

by the way I was playing battlefield V and is overheating again, I limited the frame rate to 60 and the temperature is good soooo there is no point to get the 144hz screen if the laptop can't go over 60 frames without overheating. 

24 Posts

December 6th, 2018 10:00

• 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English
  • 16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz 
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 Max-Q design with 8GB GDDR5
  • 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS
  • Lithium Ion (60 Wh) Battery

4 Posts

December 6th, 2018 10:00

What specs did you get your m15 with? Just curious since you said you got the 60 hz monitor.

5 Posts

December 9th, 2018 13:00

In a recent youtube review, Matthew Moniz talks about the keyboard heating up to 60 Celsius, which is too much for your fingers to take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWmUAHCRzVo

Have you experience anything like this under heavy load?

Thanks

Ofer

29 Posts

December 9th, 2018 13:00

The cpu on my m15 idles at over 50c and immediately jumps to 100c when any program runs. I'm thinking of returning it.

24 Posts

December 10th, 2018 05:00

don't think, Do it! I returned mine today.

I'm pretty sure they will try to charge me the 15% restock fee, but I have my previous service request that states the laptop was overheating. so I recommend you to request for service before return it.

this is a sad day for me, I was very excited with my first alienware.

5 Posts

December 10th, 2018 09:00

@Joe1984PS

I really wanted one of these, I was just about to order one.. :(

It sounds to me like a bios/driver or other control software issue.

A question: While it was going OK, did you notice the keyboard being very hot under load, to the point it is almost too hot to touch?

TIA

24 Posts

It was doing very well for a couple days, then I play battlefield V and started to overheat again and after that was overheating for any single thing like before and my battery life went down to 1.5 hr just web browsing.

so I just got tired

24 Posts

the entire laptop felt hot to touch from the keyboard to the metallic part where the logo is  .. that's why started to monitor the CPU GPU  

I really wanted this laptop but unfortunately I'm not rich to keep a defective product with a unknown future (melt in flames).    

No Events found!