sithvrix
1 Nickel

Re: Brand new Alienware m15 temperature 100C! thermal thrott

Jump to solution

Is official, I have 15" brick. I tried to update the firmware and now the laptop is dead

0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
sithvrix
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@Joe1984PS wrote:

use this link to recover your firmware.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln300716/bios-recovery-options-on-a-dell-pc-or-tablet...

Thank you, I am doing it right now. Crossing fingers.

0 Kudos
sithvrix
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

It  worked, I had some issues to get windows back, from the very beginning I had issues with the SSD so after the 5th restart seems computer detected the SSD correctly, I hope my issue with the SSD is not back, because I already deleted the windows on the hard drive that came with the laptop.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
OferR
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi @Joe1984PS, Did you get the replacement yet? Please let us know when you do and how is it performing. Thanks!

0 Kudos
frobenius3
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Hello Have you ever find a solution for this issue, because I am having the same problem with my AW15 R3.
0 Kudos
Joe1984PS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have the replacement and still the same, it was running at 53 idle and 100C while encoding video.

0 Kudos
sithvrix
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Mine is in the depot.

Image 36.png

Once it arrives I will try the following, a couple of tweaks plus changing the ac adapter for a 240 W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TII41QjxqOI&lc=z22vixyqxzmwthmgi04t1aokgzex4wf4wx2zg3jqsex0bk0h00410

My review on the Alienware m15 (i7 8750h/GTX 1070 Max Q) will be up any day now. BF V is super hard on all CPU's and by default makes the Alienware m15 run very hot but I have a fix ! Streamed on twitch https://www.twitch.tv/videos/347115655 To show 100% accurate frame rates and clock speeds all ...
0 Kudos
DaveSpurge
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I am having same issues thermal throttling, I am wondering though and can get nowhere with tech support.  If the computer is unplugged it will not heat up at all while plugged into the adapter it will thermal throttle in minutes!!  Has anyone thought about voltage regulators being in a bad spot and that is causing the cpu to overheat?

0 Kudos
DougalAW
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@DaveSpurge  There's a big difference in the CPU power and clock speed when running off battery. If you use something like HWInfo64, you'll likely see that on battery, the clock speeds are much lower than when running off mains. This is the main contributing factor to the lower temperatures.

For anyone experiencing thermal issues, the easiest steps initially are :

1. Ensure the rear of the laptop is elevated

2. Try changing the thermal profile to Quiet. This lowers power to the CPU, but from comments on other boards does not affect performance too much

If you then want to take it further I've found these steps can help even more:

3. Undervolt using something like Throttlestop. Plenty of guides on YouTube showing how to go about this

4. Repaste. Alienware have a guide on YouTube for this, showing that a good quality aftermarket paste may help with temperatures.

My M15 runs at around 50-65°c on CPU and GPU in games now with good performance, no stuttering, and no thermal throttling. 

0 Kudos