Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2021 16:00

m17 R1, Windows 11, BIOS 2.9.0 won't install

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and I have an Alienware m17 R1 (1 year warranty expired November 14, 2020) and noticed that a BIOS updated had appeared on the Dell Support website on 5/October/2021, Alienware m15/m17 System BIOS 2.9.0

The file downloaded fine. However, when I attempt to run the file it doesn't start? I've downloaded an older version, 2.8 and again doesn't start. I can see in the Task Manager it appearing for split second before closing, and in the details tab it shows as suspended for a split second too.

I have attempted the following:

Run as admin - no gain.

Safe-mode - no gain.

Stopped all application monitoring within Windows Security - no gain.

Compatibility settings, no change.

Very limited internet chatter on it. I am guessing it may have something to do with a feature or security policy incorporated into Windows 11, or a bug. Wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if any pointers can be given.

Thanks.

October 13th, 2021 15:00

After some really helpful advice from the Dell, It would appear there is a compatibility issue with Windows 11.

The solution to this is to install the BIOS update from a USB key (formatted in Fat32). Copy over the .exe file to the USB, restart, hit F12 on boot and select BIOS Update from boot selection, then select the file name and enter, it will then start the process.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2021 05:00

Thank you so much, it works.

1 Message

December 10th, 2021 11:00

This doesn’t help me at all bc I have no idea what you’re talking about

4 Posts

December 10th, 2021 15:00

First go to dell Website Dell.com/support and  enter your  service tag  - Download the  BIOS  exe file 

Connect a USB flash drive  Format it on Fat 32 and  copy the  BIOS  exe file to the  flash drive

Now  restart the computer and  continually fit F12  - Select BIOS  Flash Update  and Select the  exe file in the USB - that should update the BIOS

1 Message

January 30th, 2022 08:00

So helpful thx alot. It fixed my M17 "battery cannot identied" error when sys start up. 

No Events found!