Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

September 17th, 2020 10:00

m17 R2, $3000, wont boot since the second day

Has anyone figured out how to fix their alienware when it does not boot up? I have replaced the cmos battery, flashed bios, repasted the cpu, checked all the cables and connections, and contacted online support. Online support always has me restart my laptop and it still does not turn on for weeks. When it does turn on, its completely random. And yes its taken 2 to 6 weeks for it to boot up since the second day I had it. It will be a year in December. Im so deeply disappointed in this product. When it does turn on. Its wonderful, but the charge only lasts 24 hours when it hibernates and putting it in that mode is the only means of keeping the laptop running. I have a hardware warranty but customer service won't take it in. They want to run all the tests that I have already done and it causes my laptop to not boot up. Because of these issues, I just can't bring myself to ever buy from Dell again.

3 Posts

September 17th, 2020 10:00

when I turn it on, the screen does not turn on. The keyboard lights up, then the fan stops and it heats up. After about 4 weeks of constantly turning off and on, it will randomly boot up correctly and everything is fine. ive followed every step of every recommendation I have found on the Dell website and forums. Please take back this laptop and fix it or refund me!

3 Posts

September 17th, 2020 11:00

This might work if I could get my laptop to turn on

• 

25K Posts

Hello, we're very sorry about any issues that you might have encountered with your Alienware system. 

Your query has been actioned through private messages. Please feel free to drop us a private note whenever you are available. 

Kind regards, 

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

I don't recommend this but have done this in the past with an old laptop that had fast start enabled by default and I disconnected the mains supply (it had no battery installed) when it shut down. All I got was a black screen when I tried powering up. plug your laptop to the mains, turn the laptop on with the power button then hard shut it off by keeping the power button depressed for 5-10 seconds. you may have to repeat this a few times and your laptop should eventually boot to desktop (fingers crossed) like it did for me. good luck if you try the above.

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

OK, here is a shot in the dark! Try turning off Fast Start if you haven't already done so. Go to Power options>click on choose what the power buttons do>click on "change settings that are currently unavailable" and uncheck Fast Start.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

September 18th, 2020 17:00

Hi @Spudbud87  if your m17 R2 was delivered in a box that was shaken in transit, try re-seating the RAM cards so that it can boot. You mention some of the hardware being checked during POST, but that it failed to boot. Try starting without the charger plugged in to check that main battery power is OK. Try taking off the rear panel, disconnect the main battery cable (do not remove the main battery), plug the charger in, switch on mains ac, look at LED light colour, try starting to see if charger power is OK. (With the rear panel off, have a good look inside with a bright light, to see if anything is out of place or to track down smell of burning.) Try holding down F2 key to see if UEFI menu appears during start up, look at status of battery, to see if m17 R2 has acknowledged main battery and that it is healthy. 

You say that very occasionally m17 R2 will boot, then go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer and wait for Summary of Administrative Events to load. Open the critical drop down menu, double click on Kernel-Power to open new window. As your m17 R2 keeps failing to start, look for and double click on the critical Kernel-Power entry (red text) that is being reported many times (could be first entry). A new window will appear and it should contain an error code. Unfortunately Microsoft error codes are ambiguous, so use this error code to search on the internet for a similar problem and its solution.

Dell Computer Does Not Start - Interactive Support Agent

Top Solutions for your Alienware System 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 20th, 2020 06:00

Try booting with AC power only and disconnect the battery, also I'd recommend if you try a voltage discharge by leaving the computer on when it eventually turns on and then when it flashes red like it's going to die, let it die and then hold the power button to get any extra voltage out and then plug it into ac power.

186 Posts

September 23rd, 2020 00:00

The reasons why the laptop cannot be turned on are as follows:
1. Nothing happens when the laptop is turned on. After pressing the power button, the indicator does not light up, the fan does not turn, and the computer does not respond. This situation can be
It could be that the laptop battery is dead, the external AC power supply is damaged or the connection is bad. Please check the external AC power supply, you can also change it
A charged battery is then turned on again. If it can be turned on, then the external power supply or the battery is damaged. in case
If it still cannot be turned on, you need to take it for after-sales maintenance.
2. After the notebook is turned on, the power indicator is on, but the display does not respond or the sound of the computer entering the desktop can be heard.
There are two problems in this situation, one is the loose memory bar, the other is the internal connection line is poor, it is recommended to reinsert it.
Save the note, and then turn it on again. If it still does not turn on, you need to take it for after-sales maintenance.
3. The notebook enters the system interface, restarts repeatedly or blue screen. In this case, the internal hardware temperature of the computer may be too high.
High, such as CPU fan does not work, graphics card or other hardware failures, etc., it may also be a system problem, you can try
Try reinstalling the system. If you cannot reinstall the system, you need to go to the after-sales service for maintenance.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

September 23rd, 2020 12:00

Did it work @Spudbud87 or whoever made the post?

No Events found!