Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

6 Posts

August 15th, 2021 07:00

x17 R1, build quality can still scratch

I really love my Alienware x17 R1, but my only gripe about is is that the side bottom edges of the display has extremely little clearance, so if you open the laptop lid around the middle area where the mouse pad is, or open the lid near the edges (not the sides).. the display will slightly bend since it is a big laptop.. and because there is little clearance, the edge makes a slight noise, therefore "scratching" the bottome side edge.. and eventually some of the paint will come off if you keep opening the laptop via right side or even the left. I opened my laptop four times, and it already has a scuff. I ordered a Rustoleum spray paint in order to correct the scuff. I think the build quality is amazing, but every user has to be careful eveytime they open their X17 laptop.

I love the laptop, but they should have fortified the back of the display with metal instead of a plastic to eliminate any bending.

August 15th, 2021 09:00

Screenshot_2021-08-15-11-56-13-938_com.miui.gallery.jpg

 This is the white paint chipping after opening my brand new Alienware 17 only 4 times before i realize something was wrong. I install a black carbon decal afterwards because i am afraid that the laptop will be prone to more scratched. I think the proximity is too tight when the laptop closes and opens. Other gaming laptops i have seen don't have that bottom edge placed since it eliminates any objects grinding eachother or have the hinges close towards the middle like the latest HP Omen.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 16th, 2021 23:00

I think maybe adding some rubber over there might help.

November 7th, 2021 18:00

I plan to take out the IO part, which is easy to do... and buff out the edges so the proximity will never touch either side when the laptop closes or opens. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

November 9th, 2021 19:00

If you do that and it succeeds then I want some photos and I wanna congratulate you for making it look better.

November 18th, 2021 17:00

20211118_204614.jpg

20211118_204553.jpg

I followed a YouTube tutorial on how to take out the IO part, and had to make sure to unscrew two screws at the back of the IO part. When opening the bottom cover.. I unlatched (the lock is like a latch you have to pull up, its what lights up the back rbg lights) and loosened the two flat black connectors before pushing up the IO part at each sides...and the back IO part slided off smoothly. I used a 1200 grit size sandpaper and started to carefully buff away the white cracked paint because the other side had a hole in the white paint as well - carefully "not" buffing the lower black sides too. The end result looks so much better.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

December 3rd, 2021 07:00

Amazing. Well congrats im going to ask @Dell-BradL if this might be a product improvement to the X17.

December 6th, 2021 08:00

I have the same issue! can Dell warranty help is with this?

No Events found!