Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2014 07:00

AppSync Service Plans - Removing an Exchange Database

What would be the impact of removing a database from an active service plan.  I need to remove 1 DB from a service plan so it does not get a snapshot, but keep the existing sanpshots in tact.

I currently keep 30 days of snapshots, the service plans in question has 12 DB & logs snaps.  If i remove a DB from the Service plan, What happens to the 30 day copies.

As the 30 day setting is on the service plan as a whole will it keep 30 days of the removed DB and what happens to the other 11 DB's.  Do they only keep 30 days or being a service plan and CG will they stop expiring and keep adding on each day, due to the fact that a DB in the service has only 30 copies.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2014 10:00

Hi Bing59,

AppSync does not have the concept of age expiration for copies. It strictly based on the number of copies.  (just an FYI to make sure that is clear)

You can unsubscribe a database from the service plan and no more new copies will be created. Unfortunately the current behavior (which I just verified) is that it will maintain 30 copies of that database, which means that it will not expire any of your copies. You will have to manually expire the oldest copies after the service plan runs for the next 30 days.

One could argue that since that database is no longer subscribed to the plan, it should not figure into the rotation calculation. You could open a case with Customer Support to have engineering look into the behavior.

Something else to be aware of is that when AppSync creates copies of databases together (in one run of the service plan per Exchange server), those copies are mounted and expired as a group. So, manually expiring copies of the database you want to unsubscribe would result in all copies being expired.

June 13th, 2014 08:00

Ok...let me start by answering a few things, and asking a few questions more...then we'll see where we end up :-)

First, lets just say a snapshot is a point in time copy.  Once that copy is created, and your retention is 30 days, you will keep that snapshot for 30 days. So, if you had 12 DBs when it was taken, it has 12 DBs in the sanpshot. (unless you run out of space or other factors come into play...more on this later)

if at any time you remove 1 DB (to only have 11...or add a db to make it 13) your new snapshot will only contain the 11dbs in the service plan while the older snapshots will contain 12.  (assuming other factors don't come into plan...more on this later)

As your older replicas age and expire, you will have less replicas with 12dbs and more with 11dbs...until you are left with replicas that just have 11dbs.

Now, lets talk about other factors!

if you have RP involved, and your journal is not sized appropriately to hold 30 days of large snapshots, then I beleive it is possible for you to NOT have 30 days worth of backups. (Any bookmarks that no longer exist on the RP result in the copy for that bookmark being expired...I think this deletion occurs at noon and midnight automatically)

another factor that could come into play is if the DB remove is on the same disk (or RP CG) as another DB that is being backed up. The db removed would then become an "affected entity". See the AppSync User and Admin Guide for more info on affected entities.

Hopefully this helps answer your questions, but lets keep the conversation going if you have additional question!

96 Posts

So this means that the copies of the database removed will have 30 copies and the rest of the DB's in the service plan will continue to grow past the 30 copies until we manually expire the oldest copies.  Which would explain having 30 copies of the DB not having snapshots and more than 30 copies of the other DB's in the service plan.

thanks for the clarification Dee, i must have confused RM with AppSync.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Yes, that is what will happen. If you expire the oldest copy of that database, it will also expire the oldest copies of the other databases.

5 Posts

October 26th, 2017 07:00

I have a few copies which I want to get rid of. Do I just go to service plans, select copies, click on copy, click on expire?

82 Posts

November 6th, 2017 11:00

Yes, it is all you need to do.

No Events found!