This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 16th, 2014 06:00

Appsync integration points with Oracle on Vmware vmdk's

Hi Team,

Can you tell me if AppSync is able to perform consistency snaps/clones of an oracle DB given that database uses ASM disks made up of multiple vmdk files on a block datastore connected to XtremIO ? These are NOT raw device mapped LUNs, but a collection of vmdk's which are pulled together in a ASM diskgroup on a vm running RHEL 5.8. We're using vmdk's because the customer wants to use vsphere replication as their DR solution.

We're looking at whether AppSync can be the DBA's point for replicating/mounting those database VMDKs between different VMs.

I have a feeling this is only possible when the LUNs used by the database are RDM's, or at the datastore layer where a VM admin would need to attach the snapp'ed datastore vmdks to the vm manually.

Appreciate your help!

- chris.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 16th, 2014 08:00

Thanks Jay for helping out. It’s what I thought but it’s great to hear this is in the works!

July 16th, 2014 08:00

Hi Chris,

I reached out to engineering to get their take on your question, and they replied:

We are currently working on adding XtremIO support (RDM and virtual disk), so no, this is not supported.

Sorry for sharing the bad news that its not currrently supported.

Jay Farrell

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 20th, 2015 07:00

Hi Jay,

at this moment ( 2015 ) , is now support RDM or Vmdk disk for Oracle ASM inside Virtual machien ?

Thank a lot.

82 Posts

December 5th, 2015 00:00

With AppSync 2.2.2, Oracle supports:

Oracle - (Standalone and Oracle Real Application Cluster) and on Linux and AIX

Oracle installations on physical hosts as well as virtual machines (with pRDMs and Vdisks)

There is no support for RDMs in virtual mode

Oracle databases residing on NFS file systems with VNX storage

Oracle databases residing on ASM and file systems

RMAN cataloging of databases to a remote catalog

Repurposing of Oracle database copies. Refer to the repurposing overview topic earlier in this document for details

Supported virtualization configurations:

AppSync supports protection, mount, and restore of Oracle databases on vDisks in standalone and RAC.

AppSync does not support configuration where data and archive logs are on mix of RDM and VDisks.

Please see the Considerations and Support for Oracle on VMware virtual disks sections in the AppSync 2.2.2 User and Administration Guide AppSync_2.2.2_User_and_Administration_Guide.pdf for more details.

No Events found!