Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 19th, 2016 06:00

Cannot expire a copy of a single Datastore

Hi,

we have a customer using AppSync to protect their VMware VMFS Datastores on a VNX5400. I want to turn off Deduplication of one of the LUNs. I know that this would delete all Snapshots of this LUN and no snapshots can be made during the background LUN Migration out of the Dedup container. So I have unsubscribed that LUN/Datastore from all Protection Plans.

To be clean, I wanted let AppSync delete the snapshots so that they are gone from AppSync's database, and then automatically removed on the VNX. So I go to Copy Management -> VMware Datacenters, select the Datacenter and then the Datastore. But when I select a copy and click Expire, it prompts me that it wants to expire the copies of ALL datastores for that day on that VNX system.

Is this expected behaviour?

What would happen in AppSync if I just let the VNX delete the Snapshots by turning off Dedup for the LUN?

AppSync 2.2.2 on Windows Server 2012 R2

VNX5400 with latest Block/File code (5.33.009.5.155/8.1.9.155)

Thanks and regards,

Stephen

82 Posts

May 19th, 2016 09:00

Stephen,

AppSync manages the underlying LUN, so if multiple datastores are on the same LUN, then they are considered effected entities.

I would allow the copy rotation to make those changes. They will be overwritten eventually. You have already identified a limitation with restoring, but that would not prevent you from mounting the copy for whatever reason.

18 Posts

June 30th, 2016 06:00

AppSync manages the creation of snaps in sets of LUNs. And the whole set is managed, not the individual LUN. This you can change if you loing via https:// :8445/appsync/?manageserversettings=true . in Settings menu there are some Options available to do so.

April 4th, 2017 08:00

Thanks for the tip SW, I checked this on our AppSync and it seems to create a sub-set of snapshots within each service plan:

• i.e. we have 35 LUNs under the same VMware Service Plan and when I want to expire one snapshot it automatically shows all the snapshots of other LUNs that were taken at the same time (same sub-set). This is around 10-11 snapshots within the same sub-set, so it seems to split them in 12/11/12 LUN groups.

I know that the max amount of snapshots a VNX can handle (VNX5200 at least) is 16 at a time, it's on one of the manuals somewhere.

Not sure about those hidden advanced settings, I couldn't find any specific that would change this behavior.

StephenKebbell  I hope this helps.

18 Posts

April 6th, 2017 03:00

By default AppSync groups LUNs in sets and creates snaps for all LUNs in this Group. it also expires the whole group. If you configure AppSync to have just one LUN in each Group more Groups will be created but you will be able to manage each LUN individually. BTW: on VNX each AppSync Group reflects to a VNX consistency Group.

For VNX block this Parameter is "max.vnx.block.affinity.storage.Units"

AppSync.PNG.png

No Events found!