Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2012 01:00

Discovery call failed in AppSync server?

Hey All

I wanted to start testing AppSync. I installed the AppSync server and the VSI-Plugin. Except for configuring the AppSync-Server in VSI I get to all I try this error. Anybody got an idea where this comes from?

screenshot_121115_1050581.png

Regards

Roman

12 Posts

January 15th, 2013 09:00

For the record: the SR ended up in a hotfix for AppSync which did not cope nicely with slightly longer named for the ressources in vCenter.

12 Posts

November 15th, 2012 09:00

Hello jesusgmad

Yes, VSI and AppSync are connected and I have discovered the VNX and the vCenter from AppSync as well.

Regards

Roman

3 Posts

November 15th, 2012 09:00

Hi

At first step, you should enter the AppSync credentials in the VSI-Plug in to connect both.

AppSync will execute all protection tasks called by VSI

Have you discovered the VNX and VCenter on AppSync resource console?

Regards

Jesus

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 15th, 2012 11:00

Some previous questions

Which VCenter and ESXi versions do you have?

What Flare has your VNX?

Is AppSync server installed in W2K008 or 2K008R2 in a VM host?

AppSync Server has been added into domain after VSI configuration?

At first sight I suggest you some error possible causes

- The credential used for discover the VCenter hasn't enough privileges

- Communications port issue between AppSync Server and VCenter, firewall?

- UAC enabled for administrator password in AppSync

- NFS DataStores aren't not supported only FC and iSCSI

-DNS Resolution issues

Best Regards

Jesus

12 Posts

November 15th, 2012 12:00

Hello Jes

> Which VCenter and ESXi versions do you have?

vCenter: 5.0 Build 804277

ESXi: 5.0 Build 821926

> What Flare has your VNX?

The targeted VNX has 05.32.000.5.006 (block only system).

> Is AppSync server installed in W2K008 or 2K008R2 in a VM host?

Yes, it is installed in a W2k8R2-VM.

> AppSync Server has been added into domain after VSI configuration?

No. The AppSync server is a standalone machine. This is intended in our design.

> At first sight I suggest you some error possible causes

> - The credential used for discover the VCenter hasn't enough privileges

The user in question has full admin rights in vCenter.

> - Communications port issue between AppSync Server and VCenter, firewall?

Firewall is at the moment fully open.

> - UAC enabled for administrator password in AppSync

Yes, UAC is enabled on AppSync server.

> - NFS DataStores aren't not supported only FC and iSCSI

All VMs are located on FC-datastores.

> -DNS Resolution issues

Maybe, but I would not bet onto it as I can register the AppSync server in the VSI.

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Roman

12 Posts

November 15th, 2012 15:00

Hello Jesus

> Instead name, you can try registering AppSync Server into VSI with the IP address.

Had that before. No real difference.

> You should disable the UAC in AppSync Server

Will try that tomorrow, but from my experiences this sounds like a last resort guess.

> One Question, are you using VNX SnapShots or RecoverPoint?

I intend to use it with VNX Snapshots.

> Another separate recommentation (not is the error cause) is to update the VNX Flare,

> you have the first 32 release, there are some improvements related VNX SnapShot

> and RecoverPoint 3.5.

As from what I remember from the release notes the .008-patch is mostly RecoverPoint related which we do not use. Therefore we decided to skip that patch.

Regards

Roman

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 15th, 2012 15:00

Hi Roman

Instead name, you can try registering AppSync Server into VSI with the IP address.

You should disable the UAC in AppSync Server

One Question, are you using VNX SnapShots or RecoverPoint?

Another separate recommentation (not is the error cause) is to update the VNX Flare, you have the first 32 release, there are some improvements related VNX SnapShot and RecoverPoint 3.5.

Let me know your progress

Regards

Jesús

44 Posts

November 15th, 2012 17:00

Hi Roman,

Is it ok for you to attach the VSI log and AppSync server log? This will be helpful for the troubleshooting.

The VSI log files are on your vSphere client VM:

1) %appdata%\\Roaming\EMC\Virtual Storage Integrator\vSphere4\Logs\EMC.Solutions.AppSyncUtils.txt

2) %appdata%\\Roaming\EMC\Virtual Storage Integrator\vSphere4\Logs\EMC.VSI.VSphere4.Features.AppSync.txt

3) %appdata%\\Roaming\EMC\Virtual Storage Integrator\vSphere4\Logs\EMC.VSI.VSphere4.Features.AppSync.Restful.txt

The AppSync server log file is on your AppSync server, here is the default path:

C:\EMC\AppSync\jboss\logs\server.log

44 Posts

November 16th, 2012 00:00

Hi Roman,

It's ok for the AppSync server url to be without the domain part. It's the same case on my end and it's working well.

The error is about a discovery failure which means the request has successfully reached the AppSync server but somehow the discovery phase failed on the server side.

The log will tell us how the discovery phase failed, so it will be very helpful if we can take a look at the log.

BTW, I have seen discovery failures before, and some of them can be resolved simply by restarting the AppSync server. You might also have a try at that.

12 Posts

November 16th, 2012 00:00

Hello Zack

I guess I found the root of the problem, but I have no idea yet how to fix it.

The URLs AppSync server is constructing miss the domain part. They look like this:

https://appsync-1:8443/...

Is there a way to change this?

Regards

Roman

12 Posts

November 16th, 2012 01:00

Hello Zack

> It's ok for the AppSync server url to be without the domain part.

No it's not OK with me as not all machines are running in the same domain and thus chances are good it will not be able to resolve it. It's not the problem in this case as I can see.

> The log will tell us how the discovery phase failed, so it will be very helpful if we can

> take a look at the log.

I guess this is the most interesting part from the AppSync server logs:

--snip

11-16-2012 10:42:12.454 INFO [VCenterServiceBean] Done getting Esx hosts and Datastores for vc-2. , DC with ID: datacenter-3 Time taken:1240 ms

11-16-2012 10:42:12.734 INFO [DiscoverVCenterServerCommandBean] Received a response to request:

11-16-2012 10:42:12.884 WARN [SqlExceptionHelper] SQL Error: 0, SQLState: 22001

11-16-2012 10:42:12.894 ERROR [SqlExceptionHelper] ERROR: value too long for type character varying(255)

11-16-2012 10:42:12.894 ERROR [CMTTxInterceptor] javax.ejb.EJBTransactionRolledbackException: org.hibernate.exception.DataException: ERROR: value too long for type character varying(255)

11-16-2012 10:42:12.894 ERROR [invocation] JBAS014134: EJB Invocation failed on component AWEntityServiceBean for method public com.emc.archway.datamodel.AWEntity com.emc.archway.services.entity.AWEntityServiceBean.update(com.emc.archway.datamodel.AWEntity): javax.ejb.EJBTransactionRolledbackException: org.hibernate.exception.DataException: ERROR: value too long for type character varying(255)

--snap

The error is indicating we are hitting a character length limitation of the database.

I guess I will have to open an SR for this... :-/

Regards

Roman

44 Posts

November 16th, 2012 02:00

Ok, I got it.

So for the url issue, on the vSphere client VM where you will have problem connecting to AppSync server using "https://appsync-1:8443/", I think you can edit C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file by adding one extra line to get around it :

appsync-1

For the discovery issue, please attach the entire appsync server log file, some AppSync folk will help to investigate.

44 Posts

November 18th, 2012 19:00

Hi Roman,

Please let me know should you need more assistance.

12 Posts

November 19th, 2012 00:00

Hello Zack

> I think you can edit C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file

> by adding one extra line to get around it :

Not a very scalable approach, right? So there must be another solution to this.

> For the discovery issue, please attach the entire appsync server

> log file, some AppSync folk will help to investigate.

For security reasons I cannot publicly post these. I will open an SR and see what comes out.

Regards

Roman

3 Posts

November 19th, 2012 01:00

Hi Roman

At the end, the key point it's the DNS resolution. VMWARE and AppSync must be able to recognize one each other with consistent host names and IPs

Hosts file is a workaround. The definitive resolution is point out at same DNS Server and maintain healthy this database

Best Regards

Jesús

No Events found!