Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2014 07:00

Does Appsync create a snapshot copy before mounting

I am trying to emulate an appsync mount on a VNX.  I was wondering if Appsync created a copy of a snapshot and used that for it's mount.  Or does it just mount the snapshot as created on the VNX.

Within Appsync we mount Exchange DB & Log copies as R/W, for restore purposes.   We now have migrated some of our exchange LUNs from THick to Thin LUNs and have copies of the old LUNs that we may have to mount via the VNX Unisphere GUI.  During this process the question comes up to create a copy of the snapshot.  I have been directed to make this mount process look and feel exactly like performing a mount of a DB within Appsync.

So I am asking if Appsync creates a copy or just mounts the DB snapshot as Read/Write

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 8th, 2014 09:00

AppSync mounts the copy, not a copy of the copy.  It mounts it read-only by default. You can change the default to read-write.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 8th, 2014 07:00

AppSync shall create a copy that it will use for mounting on-demand or as part of Service Plan run.

In the case of VNX, it creates the advanced snap of the prod. database on the target VNX luns.

96 Posts

July 8th, 2014 08:00

OK,

Appsync service plan creates a snapshot, we keep 30 copies of each snapshot.  If a restore is needed from a snapshot that is 10 days old.  I have Appsync mount that 10 day old snapshot to a mount host as Read-Write, does Appsync mount that snapshot or does it create a snapshot copy and mount that as read-write.

From what I am seeing Appsync mounts the 10 day old snapshot as Read-Write without making a snapshot copy.

Correct

18 Posts

September 21st, 2015 01:00

Are there plans to change this? If you think about Snapshots as your backupset you want to make sure they are not overwritten. But for some activities you need to mount the snapshot read-write (e.g. for creating an exchange recovery database and being able to recover the database, mount it and restore some items out of it). So then the snapshot (=backup) was changed. If it is just a copy of a snapshot it does not matter. But it matters if this is your "golden" snapshot.

82 Posts

October 8th, 2015 11:00

AppSync does offer the ability to "repurpose" copies for applications such as Oracle and SQL, including when using RecoverPoint.

AS will allow you to create a generation one copy (referred commonly as gen 1) which is a preserved point-in-time copy, and from that PIT, you may create a second generation that is mounted in read/write mode. On the VNX, each generation is autonomous, meaning that you can refresh gen 1 from production without effecting the content on gen 2.

I hope this helps. For further information, please consult the product guides for "repurpose."

No Events found!