Highlighted
rbacalzo
6 Indium

Managing object retention through Atmos REST API

Jump to solution

Hi,

I just want to make sure I understand how to manage retention of objects stored on an Atmos 2.1 server.

1) The initial retention of an object can only be set by specifying some non-listable user metadata tag(s) that trigger a policy on the Atmos server which applies a specific retention to the object when it is created.

2) Once the retention attributes have been created on an object through a policy, it can be changed to either an earlier or later time by setting the user metadata tag "user.maui.retentionEnd" with a date/time string in the ISO8601 timestamp format.

Questions:

a) Can the policy for an existing object be changed by updating the user metadata of the object with a different set of tags that cause the object to be associated to a different policy?

b) Is there a way over the REST API to get a list of available policies on the Atmos server, how they are triggered (e.g. metadata tag name(s) and value(s)), and what retention and expiration values they apply to objects they are associated with?

c) Where can I get a copy of the Atmos Administrator's guide (or other documentation) so I can see how these policies are created and what the various options are for them?

Thanks!

Roger

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

Re: Managing object retention through Atmos REST API

Jump to solution

rbacalzo wrote:

Questions:

a) Can the policy for an existing object be changed by updating the user metadata of the object with a different set of tags that cause the object to be associated to a different policy?

b) Is there a way over the REST API to get a list of available policies on the Atmos server, how they are triggered (e.g. metadata tag name(s) and value(s)), and what retention and expiration values they apply to objects they are associated with?

c) Where can I get a copy of the Atmos Administrator's guide (or other documentation) so I can see how these policies are created and what the various options are for them?

A) Yes, as long as you have a selector that triggers ON_UMD_UPDATE.  Most customers will have two selectors per policy: one that triggers ON_CREATE and one that triggers ON_UMD_UPDATE.

B) Not through the regular REST API, but there is a System Management API that can query policies and selectors.  This API requires subtenant admin credentials though.

C) Yes, all the Atmos documentation is available from support.emc.com.  You're probably interested in:

System Administrator's Guide: https://support.emc.com/docu44318_Atmos_Administrator's_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

System Management API Guide: https://support.emc.com/docu44320_Atmos_System_Management_API_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

0 Kudos
4 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

rbacalzo wrote:

Questions:

A) Yes, as long as you have a selector that triggers ON_UMD_UPDATE.  Most customers will have two selectors per policy: one that triggers ON_CREATE and one that triggers ON_UMD_UPDATE.

B) Not through the regular REST API, but there is a System Management API that can query policies and selectors.  This API requires subtenant admin credentials though.

C) Yes, all the Atmos documentation is available from support.emc.com.  You're probably interested in:

System Administrator's Guide: https://support.emc.com/docu44318_Atmos_Administrator's_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

System Management API Guide: https://support.emc.com/docu44320_Atmos_System_Management_API_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

0 Kudos
rbacalzo
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Thanks!

One followup question:  If a policy can be changed on an object via the ON_UMD_UPDATE trigger, will that also affect its retention values, even if those retention values have been explicitly set on the object, rather than using the retention initially set by the original policy?

For example, say there are 2 policies.  Policy1 applies a 1 year retention and Policy2 applies a 5 year retention.

An object is created initially under Policy1, so gets a 1 year retention.  However, then via the REST API, the retention for the object is explicitly set to a date 30 days from now.

If later, an update is made that causes the ON_UMD_UPDATE trigger to change the policy of the object from Policy1 to Policy2, does that mean the object now has a 5 year retention?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

When an item is in retention, you can't edit it's metadata so you can't change its policy.  You must explicitly disable retention on the object before the metadata is changed.  I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that if you disable retention and then update the metadata to change the policy to another retention policy it will overwrite the retention end date.

anupatnaik
6 Indium

Jump to solution

It is possible to update metadata on an item under Retention. It depends on how the retention policy is configured. While configuring the retention policy, if immutability_rule=0, then the metadata is immutable. The content cannot be changed.

0 Kudos