Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2013 09:00

AVAMAR : /var is filling up on a linux client

/var is filling up on a linux client .How do I go about deleting the huge avamar logs in /usr/local/avamar/var.

Thanks

2K Posts

September 11th, 2013 11:00

No need to stop avagent, you can just tar them up and move them somewhere else. I would avoid putting them in tmp since tmpfs mount points are wiped during reboot on some platforms.

2K Posts

September 11th, 2013 10:00

Your first step should be to determine why the logs are so large. Are they in debug mode? Are verbose or comstats output enabled? You can determine this by reviewing the workorder and command line sections of the log.

Once you find and fix the root cause, you can remove the older logs with rm as long as you're sure you won't need them. The client agent does clean up old logs periodically as well. I believe the log cleanup purges logs older than 30 days but I would have to check this and I'm on mobile right now.

23 Posts

September 11th, 2013 10:00

The avtar.cmd on this client has the following

--bigdirgroup=100000

--debug

--verbose

--stats

--comstat

--status=1

The backups for this client were failing and hence support enabled debug logging.

So do I stop avagent and then can I move these *.UNIX logs to /tmp as I need these logs to check why this backup was failing.

Thanks.

23 Posts

September 11th, 2013 13:00

Thank you for the prompt response Ian as always

No Events found!