Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

January 20th, 2010 22:00

Adding Virtual Machine Clients failed

i set up a test environment for Avamar 5.0 AVE. install the vcenter client succeed, then i add virtual machine clients.

when i right click the vcenter domain, select "import multiple clients", the error is:

An error occured retrieving virtual machines. please ensure that the connection to the vcenter is active and try again, check whether the vcenter connection information is correct.

but in service Administration tab, i see the vmware vcenter connection monitor, the status is All connections ok.

anybody have similar issue? i also see a question mark on the vcenter client under vcenter domain.

125 Posts

January 20th, 2010 22:00

please see image for detail error:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4291901387_979334bf25_o_d.png

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 17th, 2010 07:00

Did you ignore the license key from the vcenter to the Avamar?

17 Posts

February 19th, 2010 12:00

The first 2 things I would look at would be the account you are using for Avamar to log into VCenter.  make sure it is an admin for VCenter.

The other is make sure you have told Avamar to ignore the certificate validation process of the vcenter agent.

It is only supported with vCenter 4.

This is covered in the Avamar 5.0 Adminstration Guide page 456.

Next make sure you have the vCenter client configured within Avamar (page 465)  This is where you put in the account with administrative access to vCenter.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 02:00

Do you know if I have to install the avamar agent on the vcenter host to backup the VM's?

My vcenter host is with a question mark and I dont know if this is correct.

Best regards

117 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 02:00

Hi,

You do not have to install an agent on the VCenter host.

The question mark next to the Vcenter host is expected. You should see a domain just underneath called "VirtualMachines" You will find the VMs to backup in here.

Regards,

Adam

12 Posts

March 29th, 2010 10:00

There is some known issues if you are running Avamar version v5.0.0.409 or lower

1. Datcenters nested in folders
2. .vmx and dc's in sub-folders

If you have either of these issues above create a case with support and request hotfix 17760 or create a case and request an upgrade to service pack 1

14 Posts

October 6th, 2015 04:00

I had the same error and just restarted vCenter service in Avamar Administration - Services Administration.

I guess it was caused after upgrade my ESXi hosts. Backup was performed correctly but couldn't add a new client to Avamar.

Regards,

Damian

No Events found!