Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2016 09:00

Ask the Expert: Upgrading Client Packages on the Dell EMC Avamar Server

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE USEFUL AND RELEVANT ASSETS...

Ask the Expert: Avamar Server, Capacity and Replication

Ask the Expert: Avamar Server management best practices

Avamar with VMware backup /restore

This discussion takes place Oct 24th - Nov 4nd. Be sure to login to enable posting replies.

Welcome to the Dell EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation!

On this occasion we will be covering Client Package Upgrades on the Avamar server. Client Package Upgrades are no longer part of the Avamar server upgrade. They have become customer installable packages. Our experts will answer your questions in regards to the upgrade types and best practices.

LOOKING TO PARTICIPATE? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER/LOGIN

This discussion is running for two weeks. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for e-mail notifications.

FOLLOW THE ASK THE EXPERT COMMUNITY ON ECN

Meet Your Experts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=17973&size=350

Aravind Kondapalli

Technical Support Engineer

Aravind has been in the support industry for the past 10 years in "Data Backup and Recovery" domain. He has worked with Symantec Backup Exec, EMC Avamar, Data Domain and Data Protection Advisor.

INTERESTED ON A PARTICULAR TOPIC? SUBMIT IT TO US.

Share this event on Twitter or LinkedIn:

>> Ask the Expert: Upgrading Client Packages on the Dell EMC Avamar Server http://bit.ly/2ebjnlc <<

October 21st, 2016 06:00

Good initiative-Keep it up Aravind!!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 24th, 2016 05:00

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to Ask the Expert conversation. My name is Aravind, i'll be your host for this event.

This is an opportunity for you to ask all sorts of Avamar Specific client upgrade questions.

Remember, no question is a silly question.

October 24th, 2016 06:00

Welcome to this Dell EMC Community Network Ask the Expert conversation. Our discussion is now open for interaction. When formulating your question please consider the following:

• Sign in or register to engage – You must login or, if you’re new, register to DECN in order to post a question, like, bookmark or follow this discussion. https://developer-content.emc.com/login/login.asp.
  • Be respectful – SMEs are volunteering to assist you and will provide you with information that they have access to.
  • Provide details and background – Our SMEs will try their best to provide a full answer for your satisfaction, but will appreciate as much information you can provide about your inquiry.
  • Keep focus and within topic – The expectation is to receive questions about the topic is that is being presented on the title and description of this event. We would appreciate if questions are kept within those boundaries.
  • Be appreciative – Many tools available for this, likes, user ratings, follow, bookmark and the good old “thank you”.

We’re delighted to know you’ve decided to join our debate and hope you receive the answers you’re eager to find.

Thanks!

498 Posts

October 24th, 2016 13:00

Why are we limited on the type of clients we can push the upgrade to?

Being able to push to AIX would make my life so much easier.  Is there anything in the works so allow the push upgrade?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 25th, 2016 03:00

It is a product management decision not to include certain operating systems for push upgrade.

As of now there is no plan to include this feature for AIX.

159 Posts

October 28th, 2016 01:00

hi aravind,

after 7.3 sp1 has been released, will there be an upgrade to Openstack DPE, ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 28th, 2016 03:00

Hi Karsten,

As of now there is no update to the OpenStack DPE version 7.3.

October 28th, 2016 06:00

Hi Aravind,

We have around 50 avamar servers. Is there any way to upgrade client downloads on multiple avamar servers ?

Regards,

Pawan

133 Posts

October 31st, 2016 06:00

Hello Pawan,

Not without actually running the Client Downloads AVP on each server.

If you have the servers upgraded by the EMC Remote Proactive team, they will include the downloads as part of the upgrade.

But if you are just planning to upgrade the Downloads page, you only need to do it on one server in your network, or if you have multi sites one server at each site.

You can then use that one server to obtain new client versions for any client. They do not have to backup to that server.

But if you are expecting an older Avamar server to accept incoming connections form a newer client you must upgrade MCS Client catalog only on the server that will be taking the new client version connections.

Jeff Cameron

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 1st, 2016 06:00

Hi Pawan,

As Jeff rightly said, there is no tool to upgrade multiple Avamar servers.

You will need to manually run the avp file on each avamar server

Aravind

1 Message

November 2nd, 2016 12:00

Hi, my name is Julio,

I am try to install the avamar plug-in in a VCenter 6.0. This avamar is Grid and version 7.2.

I can´t see the plug-in in VCenter web client and I try follow the instructions than come in this manual.

https://korea.emc.com/collateral/TechnicalDocument/docu59597.pdf

Exist another documentation in to I can check this steps? This is the correct manner to doing?

Which factors can be because I cant see the plug-in?

I agree you help.

regards!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 06:00

Hi Julio,

Actually your issue is not relevant to this topic.

But to answer your question, the documentation you are referring is the only one.

I guess you have started the vSphere web client plugin using "ebrserver.pl --init" and you still don't see it in the vCenter web client. have you checked the status of the service on Avamar?

There could be a lot of issues NAT, DNS resolution...etc.

It would be best, if you have followed the documentation, to open a support case to troubleshoot the issue.

Best regards

November 4th, 2016 14:00

This Ask the Expert event has officially ended, but don't let that retract you from asking more questions. At this point our SMEs, after addressing all questions previously posted, are still welcomed to answer and continue the discussion though not required. Here is where we ask our community members to chime in and assist other users if they're able to come up with accurate information. Additonally, you're welcome to post other questions unrelated to the topic of this ATE on the Avamar Product  Community.

Many thanks to our SME who selflessly made himself available to answer questions. We also appreciate our community members for taking part of the discussion and ask so many interesting questions.

ATE events are made for your benefit as members of ECN. If you’re interested in pitching a topic or Subject Matter Experts we would be interested in hearing it. To learn more on what it takes to start an event please visit our Ask the Expert Program Space on ECN.

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE USEFUL AND RELEVANT ASSETS...

Ask the Expert: Avamar Server, Capacity and Replication

Ask the Expert: Avamar Server management best practices

Avamar with VMware backup /restore

No Events found!