Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2013 09:00

Avamar 6.1

I am a Avamar newbie, I was just assigned to support this unit and was looking to see if some patient responders could answer me a few questions that I have regarding this backup solution. I have supported a Quantum DX30 before, which could be managed from within the unit and also ran on linux. Configuration was done via a web interface.

How does one login into the Avamar, through another device like a Linux or Windows server or straight through the unit itself? I asked because currently I have the Avamar ILO cabled to a enclosure KVM and I get no connectivity so either my ILO port is not functional or there is a second device that allows me to interface, which would mean a software install.

Thank you to htose that respond.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Being a "newbie" I would suggest that you don't mess around on the CLI just yet.  I would look for a Windows server or workstation that you can use as your "access point" that has DNS name resolution to the name of the Avamar server and IP connectivity then install the interface per the instructions above.  The lights out controllers are generally configured by default and are normally only used by EMC Support.

9 Posts

I cannot access remotely, so logging in will be done in front of the unit with the MCUser account. The unit is not on our network, meaning it is in a workgroup. My online training starts 8/7 and I wanted to login and traverse the unit. So either I put a monitor/keyboard and or mouse to it or try and KVM it.

I take it the Avamar server is self reliant and therefore no other device (server) is needed? The OS (Linux) is what you guys interface with either in front of the unit or via web? Is the ILO configured to be off by default? I'm sure someone else has it racked and connected to an enclosure KVM.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Avamar is managed through a GUI that can be either accessed from EMC Avamar Enterprise Manager or you can download the client directly from the Avamar system.

To access through the EMC Avamar Enterprise Manager:

1. Open web browser and go to http://AvamarServerName/em

2. This will most likely pop up a certificate warning and that can be ignored.

4. Select the radio button that says "Administrator"

3. Next you will need to know your Avamar administration account username and click "Launch"

4. This should open the Avamar GUI (as long as you have JRE installed)

5. Type in the password for the administrator account.

To permanently install the Avamar client you can download it directly from the Avamar system:

1. Open web browser and go to http://AvamarServerName

2. This will most likely pop up a certificate warning and that can be ignored.

3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page that loads and click the link for documents and downloads

4. Scroll down to the section for Windows 32 Bit and click the link

5. Download and install JRE (located at the bottom of this page)

6. Download and install AvamarConsoleMultiple-windows-x86-x.x.x.exe

7. Launch the Avamar console from the Start Menu

8. Login with the administrator username and password.

Hope this helps!

9 Posts

July 26th, 2013 11:00

Can you tell me how to changed the IP adress in my scenario? Is there a way to use a laptop and and cross over cable to communicate with the Avamar server. I believe if I change the wrong IP adressing it would communicate with the KVM.

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

July 28th, 2013 23:00

Hi avamar610,

I suggest you to refer to chapter 2 "Avamar Administrator" of "Avamar 6.1 Administration Guide", it will be helpful.

9 Posts

July 29th, 2013 08:00

Thanks Leo li, the linked PDF allowed me to bypass the KVM and I find myself at a Linux login prompt. The former employee did not document this node, so my next quest is determining what EMC engineer is assigned to us. At some point the unsername and or password were changed. Thanks again for the help.

26 Posts

January 29th, 2014 08:00

Hi,

Have you tried the default "root" and "calvin" ?

Best Regards

No Events found!