Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2015 09:00

Avamar 7.1 Administrator doesn't remember server name

I have an Avamar grid running v7.1.0-370.  I have the Administrator installed on my Windows 7 workstation from the install package I retrieved from the Utility node.  It runs fine, but it won't remember the Default Administrator Server that I put in under the Options.  I open the Administrator, click on Options, enter my Administrator Server name, which is "doc-hqbk01", click OK, and it populates the server name as I just entered it.  But when I exit the Administrator and then launch it again, the Administrator Server field has reverted back to "dpnmcs".  Is there something I should do differently to get the Administrator to remember the default I give it?

7 Posts

March 26th, 2015 08:00

My Customer is on Avamar version 7.1.0-370 and they have the same problem. Uninstalled Avamar admin gui, re-installed it in another directory (d:\avs) and it works.  (I tried x64bit version)

1.2K Posts

March 24th, 2015 09:00

Easy.  From the Log On window of the Avamar GUI, click on Options.

step1.png

In the next box, enter the hostname of your Avamar Utility Node:

step2.png

Click OK and the Avamar GUI will save your settings.   Let us know if that helps!

Karl

2K Posts

March 24th, 2015 10:00

On Windows, the GUI preferences are stored in %userprofile%\.avamardata\var\mc\gui_data\prefs\mcclient.xml. I'd recommend checking the permissions and ownership of this file.

11 Posts

Karl,

I apologize if my initial post wasn't clear.  What you describe is exactly what I am doing, but once I close the Administrator session and then open a new one, the Administrator Server field reverts to "dpnmcs".  When I click on Options again to set the Default Administrator Server, it too says "dpnmcs" even though the previous time I put the name "doc-hqbk01" in the Default Administrator Server field and clicked OK.  It does this every time; it's like it doesn't remember what I put in the Default field past that one launch of the Administrator.  Hopefully this makes more sense now.

Thank you,

Waide

133 Posts

I don't know, but you might find this tool useful.

Here is the URL for the AvOpener.jar file:

ftp://avamar_ftp:anonymous@ftp.avamar.com/software/scripts/AvOpener.jar

You can put this .jar file on your desktop and use it to open the proper MCS Console GUI as long as it is installed on their local PC. This is very useful if you have multiple Avamar Servers running different versions with different GUI versions.

It also has the ability to remember favorites, so you can customize it to save the names of multiple servers that you want administer.

While it was developed by an EMC Avamar Engineering, it is not an official EMC supported product or feature, but it is a very simple interface which works well.

82 Posts

March 24th, 2015 20:00

See if this helps you:

The easy way to get rid of providing the server name and LoginID is by downloading an administrator.jnlp from the enterprise manager(Launch Administrator.) and name it as your avamar name. This works very good for me. Every time I need to enter only password.

2K Posts

March 25th, 2015 10:00

I've seen this before once or twice but the customers I worked with weren't interested in tracking down the root cause. If you're able to reproduce this, I would recommend opening an SR. You can use AvOpener in the meantime (it's a great tool).

11 Posts

March 25th, 2015 10:00

Ian,

My system doesn't have a gui_data folder under the mc folder.  The only folder that appears there is gui_log.  I checked the permissions, and my account has full rights to the .avamardata folder and all its subfolders.

To make things even more mystifying, two of my colleagues are reporting that they have the exact same problem with the Administrator on their Windows 7 workstations as well.  I'm tempted to open a support ticket on this, but I figure if this was an issue with the Administrator, somebody would have reported it by now.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Waide

17 Posts

November 1st, 2017 09:00

Is there any way to delete the old server name from drop down list of server field of Avamar login window ?

No Events found!