Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2017 13:00

Avamar 7.3 with Vcenter server appliance

Hello Avamar Community,

Can someone help me find the Avamar with vCenter server appliance configuration and backup document or procedure. I would want to backup the vCenter appliance and understand the requirements. Could not find much information in the community so thought i would post a question.

April 17th, 2017 15:00

Please refer to Chapter 7, Protecting the vCenter Management Infrastructure:

https://support.emc.com/docu69641_Avamar-7.3-for-VMware-User-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

73 Posts

April 17th, 2017 16:00

In my experience you should look at VMWare documentation.  In my opinion the protecting vCenter Management Infrastructure section of the Avamar documentation should be updated.  New features in vSphere 6.0 and 6.5 have changed how vCenter is backed up.

vSphere 6.0 and 6.5 VMware does not support guest backups.  I would backup PSC and vCenter as a VM although I recommend reading the vmware documentation as it lists out other options and limitations depending on specific version of vSphere.  If you have a Windows PSC or vCenter quiesce can stun the VM enough to cause issues with other VM client backups.  Reduce this risk by backing vCenter in its own job.

vSphere 6.5

VMware vSphere 6.5 Documentation Library

vSphere 6.0

vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center

12 Posts

April 18th, 2017 07:00

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for information. I am not an expert but looked like the Avamar doc had lacked details related to vCenter Appliance. I will take a look at the VMware documentation. Thank you!

12 Posts

April 18th, 2017 07:00

Hi Leo,

Thanks for responding. I already took a look at this doc but it does not specify details on protecting a vCenter appliance which is a security hardened Linux OS. Thanks.

No Events found!