Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2014 08:00

Avamar 7 and DD 5.4 Space Consumption

We upgraded from 6.1 Avamar and DD 5.3 in mid January. Since then we have experienced a large consumption in space between cleanings.  From when cleaning completes to when it begins next time we grow by over 20%, about 16TB. We are now having to run cleaning twice a week to keep below 75%.  The word we have from EMC support is "Avamar 7 changed the way snapshots were handled on the Data Domain and is expected."

Is anyone else seeing a similar problem?

9 Posts

February 13th, 2014 10:00

I would contact support and inquire with them.  It was and is a big impact for us. We ran about 60% used on the DD prior to uprgade and then it was peaking at 85%  and above after upgrtade if we would only clean once a week.  Support has said Avamar 7 changes how it handles snapshots on the DD.  We are still pushing for a fix even though we were told "working as expected."

On the good side our backup success rate improved.  Also, this issue is using DD as the target for backups, not Avamar. I cannot speak with how if at all Avamar targets would be affected.

498 Posts

February 13th, 2014 10:00

That is a big warning.  my upgrades are scheduled for next week.

2K Posts

February 13th, 2014 14:00

I wanted to let you know that Engineering is looking into this. We do not believe this is a result of the change in the checkpoint behaviour. The checkpoint changes should have no impact on peak capacity since we are just using a different (faster) method to physically create and remove the checkpoints. Nothing about the data reclamation mechanics has changed so it looks like something else is going on and we'd like to try to understand what it is.

The support team will keep you posted.

No Events found!