Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2012 12:00

Avamar Backups using vmdk

Hello, Am trying our first VMDK backups... we are getting this error . Can someone help with this one.

2012-08-13 19:18:58 avvcbimage Error <14618>: Problem logging into URL 'https://mavmbwvc:443/sdk' with user 'vcenter_avamar' (Log #1)
2012-08-13 19:18:58 avvcbimage Error <9759>: createSnapshot: snapshot creation failed (Log #1)

258 Posts

August 13th, 2012 13:00

When you say typo in host name is it the typo of avamar proxy server name in DNS that you are talking about .

258 Posts

It throws me anerror when i type the curl command....

curl: (7) couldn't connect to host...

2K Posts

Based on the message about vCenter being logged directly in the avvcbimage log, I am assuming this is Avamar 6.1. If this is incorrect, please let me know.

This message means that when the proxy tried to log into the vCenter to take a snapshot, the login failed.

To try to narrow down the problem, please log into the proxy as root (default password: avam@r) and try to ping mavmbwvc. If this fails, the problem is likely with name resolution. Either the proxy does not have the correct DNS information or DNS is mis-configured.

If you can ping the vCenter, try running the following command:

curl -O https://mavmbwvc:443/sdk

If you're prompted for a username and password, type in the credentials for the vCenter user that Avamar will be using (the username appears to be vcenter_avamar). Please post the output from this command (you may want to black out any sensitive information such as passwords, IP addresses, etc. since this forum is regularly crawled by search engines).

2K Posts

If the ping test was successful but the curl test failed, something is preventing the proxy from connecting to vCenter on the specified host on port 443. Possible causes:

• Typo in hostname
  • vCenter service not running on the specified host
  • Firewall between proxy and vCenter blocking port 443
  • vCenter service web services port changed at install time

This isn't an exhaustive list but these are the most likely.

2K Posts

August 14th, 2012 05:00

Sorry, I was not clear. I mean a typo in the hostname of the vCenter.

14 Posts

March 14th, 2013 03:00

Hi, i got the same issue.

1. i tried ping, initally it didnt works. Because host base firewall was enabled. I disable it and ping work.

2. I tried curl - O https://vcentre:443/sdk

its shows " curl:(35) Unknow SSL protocol error in connection to vcentre:443

Any idea how to resolve the issue? Thanks

173 Posts

March 14th, 2013 03:00

In which steps did you failed???

Are you able to add vcenter to Avamar server??

If not, did you disabled or loaded certifika on avamar server?? Follow Avamar integration guide for vmware

If yes, are the names of vcenter, proxy and avamar server resolvable over DNS??

Check security guide to list the port which needs to be opened among proxy, avamar server and vcenter, use telenet to check connection.

Regards

Lukas

14 Posts

March 14th, 2013 06:00

OH!!! i will put in the proxy into DNS and try again.

11 Posts

September 11th, 2017 23:00

Hi Ian,

I can ping our vCenter from the proxy, but the backups failed with the same error. We are on v7.4 and recently upgraded our proxies. Can you please assist.

Regards

No Events found!