Sridhar246
3 Argentium

Re: Avamar - Bulk Delete of Backup Jobs

Never actually thought of deleting the client, I was told (by the previous backup admin) to always retire a client.

0 Kudos
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

Deletion is instant and permanent (after confirmation, of course) so retiring the client is a valid option to minimize the possibility of human error. Which you use depends on how confident you are, I suppose.

0 Kudos
dthatcher1
1 Copper

It is possible, but you need to change the retention first in Backup Management and then Retire the Client under Administration View.

Under your Edit: note,

No, retiring does not by default cause all backups to be deleted, by default it retires and keeps all saves and allows them to be removed when the saves expire as do all backups.

0 Kudos
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

It is possible, but you need to change the retention first in Backup Management and then Retire the Client under Administration View.

When you retire a client, you are given three options:

• Retire client and retain backups with existing expiration date.
  • Retire client and retain all backups indefinitely.
  • Retire client and reset backup expiration date.

If you select the option to retire the client and reset the backup expiration date, you can select a new expiration date from the date widget so you generally would not need to change the retention first.

No, retiring does not by default cause all backups to be deleted, by default it retires and keeps all saves and allows them to be removed when the saves expire as do all backups.

Correct.

dookie3
1 Copper

I think the other thing to consider when removing backup's on a deduplication backup software like Avamar is that there will be many similar chunks so removing 15 days of backup's may not be the silver bullet for everyone. You really need to find data that is unique and hopefully not required as this will normally yield the most returns for risk

dpnctl
1 Copper

I have composed a script myself to identify & delete backups . However it does it in 2 steps, 1 identify, 2 delete

I have used my own logic to develop this

0 Kudos
TEmily
1 Copper

By chance would you be willing to share your script?  We are having the same scenerio and have been going back and forth for weeks now.  In the meantime, we have now reached 90%.

0 Kudos

Hey,

Use special script provided by EMC Avamar Support might be able to meet your need. Please try to contact EMC Avamar Support.

Hope this can help you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
isabellecaleb
2 Bronze

can we use the  script  KB-333438 , specifically for an avamar datadomain integrated system

avamar_exorcist
3 Argentium

isabellecaleb wrote:

can we use the  script  KB-333438 , specifically for an avamar datadomain integrated system

Yes you can

0 Kudos