Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2014 12:00

Avamar / Data Domain Licensing

If I have an Avamar / DD combination and I am storing all my backups on the Data Domain, do I still need a license for the Avamar, since all the Metadata is being stored there?

The Avamar has three M1200 storage nodes, but no backup data will be stored on it except the Metadata

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 26th, 2014 18:00

yes, capacity license

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

March 26th, 2014 18:00

Hey,

Even if you will store all backups to DD, you still need Avamar license. Otherwise, Avamar will not work normally and you cannot complete the backup. Because, Avamar control the backup process.

117 Posts

January 13th, 2015 00:00

Hello,

As discussed here if you already have a license on your AVE there should be no need to purchase a new capacity license for your AVE (unless there is a capacity issue) so you will just need a DDboost license for Data Domain.

I would recommend you discuss the different options available to you with your local sales team, they should be able to provide the best option for you.

Regards,

Adam

Hello Adam.

Many thanks for your answer.

I'm answered to you in this discussion.

Best regards,

Yury.

Hello!

I have the same situation. I have AVE 7 with 2 Tb and going to buy DataDomain and combine it with my AVE. Some part of backups will be stored on AVE, another part will be stored on DD.

Does it mean that I need to buy those type of licenses:

- DD Boost license

- Avamar Capacity License for DataDomain ?

And does Avamar Capacity License is licensed per each Tb or per whole DataDomain?

No Events found!