Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2011 06:00

Avamar Exchange 2007 Recovery when original database no longer exists

I have a question. My Exchange admin wants to know with Avamar can we restore a Database to an RSG for a database that no longer exists? He has collapsed the information stores from multiple to 1 and wants to know, can we restore one of the removed databases if the source no longer exists?

My gut is telling me in order to restore it to an RSG then a databse must exist with that name. If not it can be a straight recovery but to an alternate location but do not mount the database as I think that will link the existing users to the recovered database.

Am I correct in this? Or am I just totally wrong?

Thanks,

Al

June 7th, 2012 18:00

Does anyone know the answer to this?  We are experiencing something quite similar...

An Exchange 2007 mailbox server was retired about 2 months ago (after all mail data was moved from it of course).  An Exchange DB backup was kept for that server from about 3 months ago.  A request has come in for a mailbox restoration.  Unfortunately, the doco doesn't seem to cover this situation.

I have been coming to the same conclusion as Albert - build a new mailbox server with the same name, create RSG and restore to that, then extract mailbox data. 

Can anyone say one way or another?

307 Posts

June 8th, 2012 02:00

Hello,

You can follow the procedure to perform a directed recovery to an Exchange Server 2007 RSG on a different server, given on Page 93 of this document :

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1//en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-011-633.pdf

Thanks

June 11th, 2012 23:00

Hi Sandeep, thanks for the response.  We're actually using Avamar 5, which I appreciate is a little out of date, but the process as listed in the equivalent support manual has the same steps (it's p60 in the Avamar 5 VSS for Exchange manual).

Unfortunately for us, the manual specifies that we want to be using the VSS plug in for this restoration - our plug in options are all greyed out except for Windows Exchange Database 2003-2007.  I've tried restoring using the database plug in anyway but the Activity Monitor only shows a Waiting-Client entry - I imagine this will time out given long enough. 

So I'm guessing we have maybe two problems: 

1.  The restore destination is a different server but has the same name and volume structure as the server which the backup was taken from - possibly the Avamar server is getting confused. 

2.  I don't know if the plug in is a problem, but perhaps we are missing some component or config which allows us to use the VSS plugin for restoration.

What do you think?

No Events found!