Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2016 14:00

Avamar SQL Backup - Best Practice

Hello,

is there a best practive guide for SQL backups with Avamar available?

For example, do you make only 1 full backup per day with the Force incremental backup after full backup option or do you set up some incremental backups during the day to save the transaction logs?

I am not sure if this transaction log backups are necessary because I can use the tail-log backup for restores?

Do you include the Windows filesystem backup in the dataset for SQL or only the SQL Plugin?

28 Posts

August 13th, 2016 13:00

You can take file system backup, windows VSS and SQL DBs. Yes transaction logs backup necessary. Exclude avs & var folder and avtar & avsql processes from Antivirus software scanning if possible. You should not run AG Listener/SQL Instance backup and physical Node backup at the same time otherwise backup will fail with this error - "process already running or error creating local lock file". From my perspective, Listener/SQL instance backup should be in separate group and physical node backup in another group. Overall, backup should not conflict with each other. In VSS plug-in, check whether Disaster Recovery backup selected or not and "backup system state for win 2003 only" in Windows File System plug-ins.

19 Posts

August 15th, 2016 15:00

Hello Druehl,

As per the general rule of thumb, we take incremental backups everyday along with daily fulls or weekly fulls(depending upon the dataset size and timelines).

Incremental backups are required to maintain your RTO besides, all incremental backups in Avamar are Forever Full i.e. you can restore complete backup using 1 incremental backup as fulls are already stitched to them.

Yes, it should be fine if you would like to add FS and SQL backups in one dataset.

223 Posts

August 16th, 2016 01:00

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

That means I should create one dataset for a daily full backup and anotehr dataset where I make a incremental backup every hour for example if I have a RPO of 1hour?

Because I though that I can role backup to every point in time with the tail-log backup functionallity whe I do a restore?

2K Posts

August 16th, 2016 08:00

Log tail backup doesn't cover the disaster case. For example, if somebody were to accidentally delete the VM, you'd have to have hourly incrementals available to meet a one hour RPO.

No Events found!