Highlighted
e_fortin
1 Nickel

Avamar VE internal storage vs DataDomain VE

I would like to use a DD VE as the backend storage for AVE. The question I have is about local storage for AVE. Is there a way to have the AVE Appliance using the DDVE Appliance but without having to allocate at least 3 VMDK (250/1024GB)? I tried to remove those before starting the Avamar vAppliance but the ave-config script stop saying that it could not find disks. Is there a way around this? Or can we remove them after the ave-config complete?

Thank you.

ehfortin

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

Re: Avamar VE internal storage vs DataDomain VE

The file metadata (file sizes, filenames, ACLs, etc.) and backup records are stored on the AVE, not on the DDVE. These VMDKs are required.

e_fortin
1 Nickel

It make sense. I was not sure because AVE already has a VMDK outside of those for the data and I figured the metadata could be store in a database on this first VMDK.

One thing I would like for AVE would be to act like DD VE and Unity VSA for the backend storage. So instead of asking for 3 or 6 VMDK, we could add a single protected VMDK (physical RAID or SAN provided storage) and then, be able to grow from there. DD VE, for example, require the first VMDK to be at least 200GB and then, you can add chunk of 50GB. But if you prefer, you can create a single VMDK of 1TB and work with it. To me, this approach is easier to work with and is more granular.

Thank you Ian for the information.

ehfortin

0 Kudos
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

The VMDK created during deployment stores the OS image and Avamar software.

Regarding how storage is allocated, if you contact your account team they can file a Request For Enhancement (RFE) on your behalf.

0 Kudos