8 Krypton

Avamar Virtual Edition 7.1 or 7.2

Hi,

I have been trying to get a definite answer on the following for a few days now:

My customer has a requirement to create a Management Interface and then configure a separate interface for data
Ingest (this interface would have the vlan tagging created on it), so with this in mind I modified the VM that AVE is deployed on with an additional NIC so there are currently 2 x vNics – I can see both when I run ifconfig. As part of the installation I configured eth0 using yast2 with the details required for the Management interface.

I then ran “dpnnetutil” but was only given the option within “dpnnetutil” to configure eth0 for backup, replication + management. No way of creating a bonded interface and no way of configuring eth1/2/3 etc for data ingest???? I have been told by Support that even if this was possible it would not be supported, which we are not concerned about as this is going into a lab environment for a very high profile
customer prior to us implementing on physical M1200.

My question,is:

• Can AVE be configured to use more than one interface?
  • Even using just the one interface (eth0) if that was all we could use, would I be able to configure Vlan tagging on eth0? I have the document “EMC Avamar Post-Installation Network Configuration Tech Note” which shows me how to do the Vlan tagging on a
    single-node/multi-node Avamar, but can it also be done with AVE?

Thanks in Advance

3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Avamar Virtual Edition 7.1 or 7.2

Can AVE be configured to use more than one interface?

There is precedent for this but you may need to submit a request for product qualification (RPQ).

Even using just the one interface (eth0) if that was all we could use, would I be able to configure Vlan tagging on eth0? I have the document “EMC Avamar Post-Installation Network Configuration Tech Note” which shows me how to do the Vlan tagging on a single-node/multi-node Avamar, but can it also be done with AVE?

Yes. The procedure would be the same.

For physical single node systems with dedicated interfaces, the typical configuration puts the management interface on the second or third interface in probe.xml, with the first interface being a backup interface. I would recommend that you follow this convention.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Ian,

Thank you for the response.

I will attempt to configure the vlan tagging when back on-site on Monday.

Thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
suraj_pujari
Not applicable

Hi Gecko,

Were you successful in creating VLAN on eth0? I have a similar requirement of that of yours. Was wondering if it worked for you.

Thanks,

Suraj S. Pujari

0 Kudos