Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2017 11:00

Avamar Virtual Machine Backup File level restore- any way to preserve permissions/owner?

Hello,

I am new to Avamar administration and am wondering how people go about preserving permissions on files restored using file level restore from a VMware backup. It appears there is no way to actually do this short of mounting the vmdk with instant access and browsing the files, am I missing something? Any tricks?

Thanks

8 Posts

November 17th, 2017 05:00

What version of Avamar are you using, and have you tested it on multiple (updated) Windows OS versions?  We were unable to perform file level restores from VMDK backups (AND maintain  ACLs correctly) when we first spun up Avamar, but that was using an older version (a couple of years back).  I thought the most recent version of Avamar corrected that issue.  We'll soon be upgrading to the most recent version of Avamar and were anticipating taking advantage of the corrected issue.  I'll be interested to learn the outcome of your situation!

1.2K Posts

November 17th, 2017 07:00

Are you restoring files to the original location/VM?  Or, are these going to a different VM?

8 Posts

December 1st, 2017 05:00

Did you ever get a resolution on this??

10 Posts

December 5th, 2017 12:00

We are on 7.4

Not really, the main struggle is restoring Linux files with permissions. I am struggling to find a good way around this, may just be a limitation of restoring a file from a snapshot...regardless of the backup software.

498 Posts

December 8th, 2017 07:00

Well I am confused has to how you are having that issue.

All of my Linux file restores ( and windows file restores) from a VMware backup, always restore with the original permissions.

in fact you can SEE the permissions of the files when you pick the file in the Restore GUI.

can you explain just what you are doing and what is going wrong?  Because I have never had this issue.

(when Avamar was installed on the Linux server - was it installed by ROOT?)

11 Posts

December 21st, 2017 01:00

Hi JH

it look like you are not restoring the same way, you seem to restore file from backup made by the agent where he seem to be restoring file from an image level backup ( backup of the VM VMDK)

basicaly i think FLR via VMDK backup, you will not get the ACL back only agent level backup do that.

498 Posts

December 21st, 2017 07:00

when you do the restore via FLR from a vm backup

are you going to "More Options" and making sure you have checked
Restore Access Control List (ACL)?

No Events found!