pervanah1
1 Copper

Avamar- backup actual size

Hello,

I need to identify the actual size that the backup takes, i used the command:

mccli backup show --domain=domain_name  --name=client_name --recurisve=yes

which gave me a list of backups with dates/retentions and size.

The size is actually very large and it seems that this specific client is taking almost half of the grid capacity....! is that size before deduplication? or is that the actual size of the backed up data after deduplication?

Thank you and best regards,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Avamar- backup actual size

Hello,

You are saying particular client is taking half of the total grid size, in this case you have 2 options to verify the client occupancy on the grid.

- Login to into utility node and run "capacity.sh" to get the large client occupancy

- From the avamar console generate "DPN summary report" and accumulate the "% new bytes"  to get the client occupancy.

There is no before & after deduplication concept, its a Global deduplication tool and the occupancy shows the deduplicated data only.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,

Srinivas

pervanah1
1 Copper

Thank you for your reply I will try those 2 options.

A question plz, the mccli backup show command, does it show the actual data size? or what does it give?

0 Kudos

MCCLI/GUI  --  Avamar creates each backup copy as virtual full backup but that is not real occupancy. if you want find out the total client occupancy use above 2 methods:) 

0 Kudos
Mukumuks
1 Copper

Then How can we find the actual size which has been backed up today . For Example total size of a client is 450 GB Avamar is backing up this client from two years Every day it shows 450 Gb it does not perform daily 450GB save it use deduplication or Virtual full backup but how can i find how it has backed up on daily basis . Only sometimes we can see new bytes as 1.0% What does that mean ?

0 Kudos
jacbrian281
1 Copper

That means pretty much what you spelled out: of the base 450GB backup size, only 1% of the data changed, so only 4.5GB was saved in that new backup set.
0 Kudos