Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2014 13:00

Avamar backup to DD to Tape

How can we get Avamar backup to Disk and then to tape without using staging space ? I hear a lot about networker and Adme , I believe both require staging space for export from Avamar and then to Tape ?

215 Posts

ADMe with Networker is the easiest way and yes it requires some staging disk but you size the workload to match the available disk space you have. Usually at least 2 TB’s of staging disk is required at a minimum and the more you have the more efficient the process can be.

AER is the other tape solution but there are some gotchas to using it and the diskless solution does have 24 TB’s of local disk so its not

really “diskless”

regards,

Adam

95 Posts

Adam , Thanks for answering , can you please explain the 2TB logic ? We have DD with 56 TB Usable space , our total full backup sets consists of 30TB Month , assuming after de dupe ( with 4 weeks retention ) it uses 25TB , how much actual staging space would we need on networker-ADME system ?

215 Posts

It varies but I’d suggest you read through the first several pages of the ADMe Admin Guide and also the Planning Questionnaire

These can be found at the following link @ https://community.emc.com/docs/DOC-7910

Basically though the staging disk in this example would be used over and over until all required data is on tape.

ADMe handles the clearing of the staged data to make room for the next job etc.

regards,

Adam

95 Posts

December 16th, 2014 14:00

Is there a sizing excel sheet or any sizing toll for ADME ?

215 Posts

December 16th, 2014 15:00

Not really just follow the doc and you should be good.

Regards,

Adam - Sent from my iPhone

No Events found!