JamieE74
1 Copper

Avamar backups in vSphere

I have a unique scenerio where I have two vCenter instances that are being backed up by different solutions.  vCenter A is using Avamar, while vCenter B is using NetBackup.  We have an initiative to move the physical hosts out of vCenter A and into vCenter B.  If we move everything, I've been told that I would need to use NetBackup, but because of the way the storage is configured we would need to do the backups over the network which there is bandwidth concerns.  Is it possible to use Avamar in this scenerio?  Have Netbackup responsible for the existing VM's and configure (permissions, etc..) Avamar to connect to vCenter B and continue to backup the VM's it has always backed up?

1 Reply
Highlighted
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

Re: Avamar backups in vSphere

There's no reason you can't do this. Just add vCenter B to Avamar as though it were a new vCenter.

There are a few caveats, however. The clients that are moved to vCenter B will be treated as new clients. This means you might have to make some configuration changes to ensure they get picked up as part of your groups, etc. You also won't be able to take advantage of change block tracking until the new "initials" complete (but the data will still be deduplicated so you won't use any additional capacity).