Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2010 04:00

Avamar hfscheck in version 5.0

hello everybody

I have question about maintenance activity such as validation of checkpoint.

In older releases of Avamar it was clear enough ( as i remember ) how to schedule creation, validation of checkpoint.

I have brand new installation ( younger than 1 period of full retention cycle ).

My Avamar timetable is as below:

6.00 am - 9.00 am: blackout window

9.00 am - 6.00 p.m: maintenance window

6.00 pm - 6.00 am: backup window

I read in documentation that primarily checkpoint is made in blackout window and validation in maintenance window. Does it correct ?

In my avamar situation is like:

Every day system makes 2 checkpoints, but only first is validated.

cp.xxxxx01 2010-12-07 17:44:55 CET - not validated

cp.xxxxx02 2010-12-08 09:01:51 - validated ( validation start: 09:05, finish: 09:11 )

...and this is of course cyclic.

Could someone explain me in what way those start/finish and validation start/finish of checkpoint times are corresponded with mentioned timetable ?

thanks in advance

January 6th, 2011 01:00

I read in documentation that primarily checkpoint is made in blackout  window and validation in maintenance window. Does it correct ?

Yes - that's right.

Each day the system will take two checkpoints.  The first one will be validated, the second one will be created immediately after the validation of the first checkpoint.  The second checkpoint will not be validated.

Could someone explain me in what way those start/finish and validation  start/finish of checkpoint times are corresponded with mentioned  timetable ?

When the maintenance window starts it creates a checkpoint

That brand new checkpoint will then be validated.  The amount of time this takes depends on how full the system is, how many stripes have changed or been created, how much concurrent activity is going on (Avamar can perform limited backups, restores during the HFScheck)

Here we see that it took just a few minutes to complete the validation.

cp.xxxxx02 2010-12-08 09:01:51 - validated ( validation start: 09:05, finish: 09:11 )

Once the HFScheck is complete, a new checkpoint will be created.  As mentioned earlier, that second CP will not be validated

cp.xxxxx01 2010-12-07 17:44:55 CET - not validated

Following the creation of this checkpoint, removal of the oldest, eligible, checkpoint will occur.

If the oldest checkpoint is a validated checkpoint, that will only be rolled off if there is a newer checkpoint which has also been validated.

No Events found!