Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 1st, 2015 22:00

Avamar implementation

Hi All,

Kindly help me in below question:

Is ADS switch and Avamar utility & storage nodes different?

Is configuration of DRAC port mandatory or can we manage only with Primary management port (eth 1)?

Can we can connect the Avamar grid without ADS switches?

If the above statement is true, where should we connect GB3 (eth2) port?

Irrespective of using ADS switches are not, should we use a dedicated customer network switch for Avamar traffic?

June 2nd, 2015 02:00

Is ADS switch and Avamar utility & storage nodes different?

I'm not completely sure I understand the question here.   There are various generations of ADS node all with different hardware configurations.  Utility nodes and storage nodes are typically configured differently within a single generation.  There are at least two types of switch which have been used.

Is configuration of DRAC port mandatory or can we manage only with Primary management port (eth 1)?

It is not mandatory but configuring the remote access interface will be very useful if you wish to effectively manage the hardware without being physically present

Can we can connect the Avamar grid without ADS switches?

Multi-node Avamar systems require the ADS switch for internal communication

If the above statement is true, where should we connect GB3 (eth2) port?

Download the installation guide for the generation of ADS node you are installing.  You can find the documentation here

https://support.emc.com/products/

For example, the Gen4S reference guide is here

https://support.emc.com/docu45657_Avamar-Data-Store-Gen4S-Comprehensive-Reference-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Irrespective of using ADS switches are not, should we use a dedicated customer network switch for Avamar traffic?

I understand that a customer switch cannot be used for internal communications between nodes on a multi-node system.  You can use one for connecting the utility node (or a single node) to the customer network.

June 3rd, 2015 22:00

Thanks nr.

additional question:

1. what is the difference between single node & multi-node system with respect to avamar?

2.  Please elaborate how ADS switch is used for internal communication in case multi-node avamar system?

3. Can we use eth1 port as management port instead of DRAC

17 Posts

June 9th, 2015 07:00

Hi Sainath,

Avamar Multinode alone will be having ADS Switch , when you ordered for Multinode avamar ADS Switch will be included in the package , each storage node will be having 8 Ethernet ports in which 2 ports for external switch for transferring the client data and 2 ports for internal switch connection i.e for ADS Switch for load balancing to transfer and also for RAIN Architecture  and 2 Ports for Replication and last 2 Ports for Management ports which is again needs to connect to external switch...

Single Node avamar is capable of holding the data of minimum of 2 TB and Max of 7.8 TB , where a single point failure is always possible ,but again EMC S2400 has the RAIN Architecture, not sure how it works .

Multinode avamar consists of Min of 3 Storage Nodes and 1 Utility node where each storage node has capacity of holding the data as well as the performance to initiate the Backups ( 70- 71 Backups can initiate with one storage node ).

It is very clearly shown in the admin guide , pls refer if you want more inform

Regards

Srini 

2K Posts

June 9th, 2015 08:00

EMC S2400 has the RAIN Architecture

I believe you mean "RAID" here. You can't have a RAIN architecture on a single node system.

No Events found!