Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 20th, 2016 14:00

Avamar proxy vs datastore

Hi,

I've installed Avamar VE 7.2 in my lab which has 2-3 datastore, depending of the day. I created a proxy and saw that I absolutely have to select a datastore for it. After having configured everything else, I tried to do on-demand backup on 2 VM on two differents datastore and I got an error message (10014) for the VM that was not in the same datastore as the proxy.

Looking at this forum, I find some information about having a choice to select "all" as a datastore. This is not showing in AVE 7.2. The message were about 6.x and 7.0 but I've not seen anything for 7.2.

Is there a way to use the same proxy for 2-3 datastore? If so, how? I don't want to create a proxy per datastore as my lab is not powerful enough to have multiple proxies + vcsa + Virtual VNX and so on.

Thank you.

e.fortin

1.2K Posts

March 21st, 2016 06:00

You can try downloading the proxycp.jar script to /home/admin on AVE and seeing if this is an option for you.  This jar file contains several commands and utiltiies for working with vSphere, VMs and proxies.

You can download the script to the Utility Node with the command

curl -O ftp://avamar_ftp:anonymous@ftp.emc.com/software/scripts/proxycp.jar

Once installed, you can look at the command

java -jar proxycp.jar --selectalldatastore

This command tells the configured proxies to add all datastores.  You can see if this command works for AVE, and it should get you what you need.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

30 Posts

March 21st, 2016 18:00

Seems to work. At least, I was able to backup a VM that is definitely not in the same datastore as the proxy while doing another one that is in the same. Was this documented somewhere?

Thank you very much for your help.

Etienne

1.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2016 10:00

The proxycp.jar tool has been around for a few Avamar versions now.  It's not well-known, but is pretty handy and does include a bit of local documentation.  You can run java -jar /usr/local/avamar/bin/proxycp.jar --documentation to get a great deal of detail from the tool itself.

Good luck!

2K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 06:00

Please keep in mind that while it is useful and powerful, proxycp was designed as a tool for support. It's not a part of the product which means you can't get support for it and using it is strictly at your own risk. It has some features that can be dangerous, so be careful.

30 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 10:00

Thank you J.H. I never got to that screen before. Now that I looked for it and found it, it just make sense. So that's the official place to adjust the proxy. I was under the impression that we only had the Proxy Deployment Manager and in there, it was not possible to select more then one datastore.

So, I now have two way of doing it. I understand what Ian is saying and I would effectively not use the tool for a production environment if it is not supported. However, in lab, it did what it was supposed to do and it's working fine since.

I now have to invest some time figuring the various options for backup as well as restore. I'm doing backup daily for the last few days without any issue and I know I can restore a VM but I've not tried restoring at a more granular level. Everything seems there for the common products (SQL, Exchange, etc) but I expect the devil is in the details when starting to use those.

Thank you all for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

498 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 10:00

you can also...

go to The Avamar Administration window

find your proxy on the upper left and edit

then on the bottom of the new screen click a check mark in each (or all) datastores you want the proxies to use (does not have to be just one)

An example for the ability

When we started we had 1 vcenter but two locations (I am not a VMware person so not sure how all this worked)

but when I made my proxies it could see the datastores for both locations

I wanted Avamar at location 1 to only use datastores in location 1

and Avamar at location 2 to only use datastores in location 2

so my proxies were set accordingly  so when backing up a server it would not use a proxy at the other location.

No Events found!