Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 31st, 2021 23:00

Avamar restoration

Hi,

We are having issue with the restore speed for Avamar (7.2).  Trying to restore ( file level restore) via the client from Avamar server over the WAN. The Wan link is 1 Gbps  but we are getting only 300Mbps on restore.  Wondering if there is a limitation on the Avamar server / client where we can change the throttle ?

2K Posts

June 1st, 2021 13:00

The allnodes setting can be applied to datasets through the GUI, including the dataset being used for an on-demand restore. I think there's a checkbox in the dataset settings in the GUI but if not, it can be specified as a custom flag in the Advanced settings.

For client-initiated restores, the --allnodes flag is normally supplied to avtar at the command line or added to an avtar "flag" file called avtar.cmd. Flag files live in the Avamar var directory and can be used to specify command line flags, one flag per line. If a flag file doesn't exist, it can be created using a text editor. Note that any flags in the flag files will be applied to every invocation of the relevant binary.

2K Posts

June 1st, 2021 05:00

While the Avamar client does support network throttling, you have to ask for it to get it. The client does not throttle anything by default.

When you say "file level restore", do you mean VMware FLR or regular filesystem client? Is this pure Avamar or Avamar/Data Domain?

If this is a pure Avamar restore and the Avamar server is a multi-node server, using the "allnodes" flag will generally improve restore performance, at the cost of using additional connections on the Avamar server. This flag should be used judiciously because it's easy to reach the connection limit if you start setting it in backup data sets, for example.

2K Posts

June 1st, 2021 12:00

The allnodes flag only affects communication with the Avamar server. Unfortunately if this is an Avamar/Data Domain restore, setting allnodes won't help. Avamar/Data Domain restores are very sensitive to latency, so I don't know if there will be a way to speed up this restore. I'd recommend working with support if the performance is not meeting your RTO.

14 Posts

June 1st, 2021 12:00

Thanks @ionthegeek . Yes it's a regular file system client and it's Avamar / Data Domain

Any pointers on how is the allnodes flag set ? 

14 Posts

June 1st, 2021 13:00

Thanks @ionthegeek. Just for my understanding the "Directly connect to all server nodes" option is on the client correct ? Nothing on the Avamar server side ? The client is initiating the restore in our case. 

14 Posts

June 6th, 2021 03:00

Thanks @ionthegeek  that sorted the issue.

No Events found!