Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2016 10:00

Avamar: what exactly does the 'sync with Vcenter' process do?

I am not sure what doing this sync process actually does to the clients configured or not configured

thank you

debbie

1.2K Posts

October 5th, 2016 11:00

"sync with vCenter" polls vCenter for client names and related information.  For example, when you import a VM client, Avamar creates a unique Client Identifier, known as a CID, for each client.  This CID is persistent, event when a VM changes name or is Storage vMotion'd to a new datastore, etc.  "sync with vCenter" will read the information from the VMs in the environment and check to see which CID matches which hostname, then update appropriately.  This does not change the CID, which would invalidate backups, but ensures the hostname and CID match.

It's pretty benign to run this command - we do this quite often, as our VM admins will rename "host-TEST" to "host-PRODUCTION" when we promote a VM's role.  This will not "unregister" or otherwise break a VM's entry, it will only update Avamar to match.

Let us know if that helps!

Karl

124 Posts

October 5th, 2016 11:00

thank you so much..

32 Posts

October 6th, 2016 02:00

This is very interesting and Karl has given a very good answer.

I have been looking at this myself recently and have found a few anomalies with the way the sync works and was wondering if anyone else has seen similar issues? For example - when you have an established vcenter client setup in avamar and you then you create a new folder within vSphere/vCenter and add a vm to that folder, when you sync Avamar sees the vm and puts it in a folder/directory "Discovered vm entities"? It does not pick up the correct folder structure as it was in vSphere even though you set the Container to Dynamic when importing the client into Avamar?

Is this usual behaviour? Anyone else seen similar behaviour?

Neil

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

October 10th, 2016 06:00

Neil,

the only time i see this is when VM that was backed up as part of a container gets moved to a folder that is not part of my containers that is set to be backed up. For example vCenter structure:

\companyXYZ

\prod

\dev

\qa

\decomm

Let's say in Avamar i am backing up containers prod, dev and qa ..so if i take a VM that was being backed up in prod folder and move it to decomm, it will show up in Avamar under "Discovered VMs".

No Events found!