Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Ask the Expert: Avamar with VMware backup /restore

Yes - that looks good. Hopefully, it uses HOTADD to connect to each disk the VM has.

If you upload the logs to ftp.avamar.com

cd   /incoming 

mkdir Tony1244

cd Tony 1244

put (all log files for this backup)

Then please notify me by posting here - I can take a look, and post snippets here, if there is useful diagnostic info.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Vijay, have uploaded the file as requested. When I went to ftp.avamar.com it redirected me to ftp.lss.emc.com and that is where I have placed the file.

I appricate your assistance with this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Sorry - I was unable to find the uploaded files - I do not see a /incoming/Tony1244 directory on the FTP site.

Please indicate the full path to the uploaded file9s).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Vijay

I uploaded the file to ftp.avamar.com via filezilla and it said it was successful but I can't see the file and I am unable to do a dir listing. Do I need an account to create directories and upload files?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Tony -

I noticed you logged-in to the FTP site as "anonymous" , and I can see the directory you created, but I have the same issue - I cannot see the file name.

If you can re-upload and give me the file name, I can access that.

The more common way to upload is to login with the credentials  avamar_ftp/anonymous - note that the PASSWORD is anonymous. This puts the upload at a different location that I can browse.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Followed your instructions Vijay, still not sure if it has uploaded. File name is sadoc3_log.zip Hope you can find this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello Tony:

I finally discovered where your uploaded files were hiding - after I found this piece of information on an internal site:

Due to a data security concerns, all files stored on ftp.emc.com/incoming  will be immediately moved to the same folder structure on and be accessible on the EMC network ...

Anonymous access to ftp.emc.com/incoming is write only for files.

Anlyzing your file shows that your VM "sadoc3" has 2 virtual disks. Their Backup times and change rates are:

• sadoc3.vmdk:     20G  Change rate: 0.03% Backup time: 26 min
  • sadoc3_1.vmdk 100G Change rate: 15.58% Backup time 3 hr 13 min.

The entire backup had 73599 changed  blocks.

On the 5.0 Avamar release, we have found that when there are over ~ 50 K changed blocks, there are diminishing returns to changed-block usage, particularly when there are a number of proxies loading the server with changed-block backups. This issue is particularly acute for the older Gen-3 Avamar hardware with 3TB nodes.

If you expect a continued 15% change rate on the second disk, I would recommend NOT using changed-block bakups for this VM.

Alternatively, backup this VM at a non-peak backup time, when there is not as much contention for processing changed-blocks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for the reply Vijay.

I will look at turning off CBT for this backup as it is not being uesed. We have not upgraded our proxy servers following the move to 6.0, would this make  difference?

Also any news on the GA release of 6.1 and would ther be any peroformance benifits with that for this situation?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

The GA release 6.1  was late last week.

Upgrading your proxies to 6.0 would help resolve a number of old bugs that existed in the initial 5.0 release, but these are apparently not affecting you. You are not likely to see a performance benefit in 6.0, and a minor performance benefit in 6.1. The underlying CBT backup mechanism has not changed, but the communication path between the proxy and the vcenter has improved considerably in 6.1.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentium

Hello,

we have a big project with Avamar and I have some questions about this. Perhaps you can give me some hints for my next meeting with the customer.

The Plan is to deploy some AVE with Datadomain to backup up up to 12 Vblocks (in the future) with each Vblock hosting about 1000VMs.

We want to solve it with AVE and Datadomain as I said.

Open questions are:

1. Customer wants to have 2 NICs on each AVE to get in differend subnets. We tried this out with vlans but this is not the solution the customer wants to see. It is not the problem to add a secound NIC to the underlying linux, but I am not sure what to change in the avamar config files. So I think I have to make a RPQ, but if you have more information about this it would be great.

2. Are there any rules of thumb, for example how much VMs can one AVE handle or some sizing hints how much AVE we need on one Vblock for 1000 VMs. We are thinking about building a "virtual grid" which is not supported I know but I have tried this and it works. So here we have to make another RPQ about this. The grid would be great to handle more streams as the single AVE.

3.Can I replicate only the Metadata with Avamar replication and the rela data which is only on the DDs with DD replication?

Any hints or discussions are welcome.

0 Kudos