Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Ask the Expert: Avamar with VMware backup /restore

Re: Vblock 1K Vm backup to AVE+DD

1. Instead of multiple NICs per AVE, how about doing multiple AVEs - 1 per required subnet ?

This is a supported  configuration, and the DD box is capable of backing up multiple Avamar servers.

Also - I'm not clear on why multiple NICs are needed in the first place - are these ISOLATED vlans ?

Avamar Image backup does not require network connectivity to the VM. In fact, it is quite comfortable

backin-up VMs with NO network. So, this requirement is not clear.

Sorry - I seem to be generating more questions than giving answers.

2. The number of VM's an AVE can support varies greatly, based on types of VM, hardware speeds, VM sizes and change rates. Since the AVE is equivalent to a small single-node Avamar, I would not be comfortable with more than say 6 simultanious VM backups . If you can get an average GB/hour for a VM backup rate for your hardware, based on the length of your backup window, you can estimate how many GB you can support per AVE, and work from that to figure a number of VM's.

3. The answer is Yes. Avamar/DD pairs can replicate.

As a part of the replication configuration, you specify which DD device on the target holds data for a particular Avamar client domain.

Highlighted
3 Argentium

Re: Vblock 1K Vm backup to AVE+DD

Hello Vijay,

Thanks for your answers.

You are right, the  customer has 2 isolated VLANs, so his idea is to have a seperate NIC for each. But i like the idea to have a AVE per VLAN, lets see if the customer likes it too 😉

I don´t understand what you mean with "backing up VMs with NO network"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

What I meant was :  Avamar does not require the VM to have ANY network connection.

The backup is completely independent of the network that the VM connects to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hello

We have problem with restore time of vm's. We have Avamar 6.0.66 and VMware 5.0 Essential,

so we do not have SCSI HOTADD.

SCSI HOTADD is only in enterprise vmware license.

SSLNBD transport is used. It is very slow due to SSL lib problem.

Is it possible (and how) to use not encrypted transport in avamar  - I think NBD is faster than SSL NBD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

You can use the flag:

--transport=nbd:nbdssl

to specify that you want it to try "nbd" first, then "nbdssl".

This can be specified in either one of  2 ways:

• Edit the dataset for the vm, and add this flag: In the OPTIONS tab, click "MORE", then add the "attribute" "transport", and the "value" "nbd:nbdssl", and click "+", and save. (Preferred)
  • For each proxy (assuming this is a 6.0 proxy. Path changes for 6.1), create or append to the file  /usr/local/avamar/var/avvcbimage.cmd the command "--transport=nbd:nbdssl" .

Yes - NBD should speed up the backup somewhat, although not as spectacular as hotadd.

Highlighted
3 Argentium

What's up with Avamar not supporting file level restores from VM GPT or dynamic disks?  Neither are new and GPT in particular is becoming more of a standard as large VMs become more common.  Also, why does the Avamar backup job complete with no warning that file-level restore will not be possible?  Honestly, I'd expect more from a product from a company with a significant stake in VMware.

Also, why is mapping data stores to proxies such a pain?  Consider an environment where you have multiple large ESX clusters, each with their own set of datastores.  That is an awful lot of configuration and maintenance to keep datastore mapping up to date so backups use hotadd transport mode as often as possible.

Are there any plans to offer auto-discovery capabilities for VMs?  Perhaps something similar to the different type of affinities other products offer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

The File-level-restore (FLR) partition restrictions all come from vmWare's implementation limitations.

Avamar code basically uses the equivalent of vmware-mount, to mount the backed-up vmdk.

Since the restore restrictions are imposed by vmWare implementation (which may change), the Avamar software does not make a determination of FLR restore at backup time.

Re: Mapping data stores - I agree it could probably be rule-driven to make things easier. I will advise product management of your suffering.

Auto discovery of vm's is in an imminent release.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello guys,

I´m trying to perform a File Level Restore from a Image Backup. The problem is that fails after a few minutes with the following message:

avvmwfile Error <0000>: File level restore failed.

I´ve noticed that at the time that the backup fails, the proxy has already dismounted the VMDK.

I suppose there is a time out. If that is the case ... Where is it configured? Can I change this value?.

Thanks and regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Hi!

What permissions do you have set on the vcenter account?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Se7en,

I don´t have problem with all restores. Only large restores fail.

Do you still think it´s a permissions problem?.

In this case... Where do I check these permissions?

0 Kudos