Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2012 13:00

Avamar with VMware backup /restore

Discussing Avamar with VMware backup / restore with Vijay_(Avamar) and Dan Gauld (@backupbuddha)

Welcome to this EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This discussion covers Avamar with VMware backup.

Your hosts for this conversation were:

https://community.emc.com/docs/profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=6002&size=350

Vijay_(Avamar), an EMC employee (Avamar) who has a diverse background in IT, including System administration, IT management, Software development (System level,  Applications, Databases, Web), VoIP, network administration,Database administration, system security, Microsoft technologies, Linux, and systems support. He has extensive expertise in Avamar clients, virtualization, Microsoft technologies.

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-17034-1-39639/233-284/DanGauld.JPG
se7en  (Dan Gauld) is an IT professional (Partner) @ Mainland Information System,based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  Focused in the area of backup/recovery and data storage for the last 7 years, He has performed numerous assessments, deployments and upgrades for NetBackup, Backup Exec, Networker, Avamar and Commvault infrastructures.

Being familiar with best practices both specific and general for these environments has enabled him to quickly identify inefficiencies and possible improvements that can be made in technology and process. Experienced in supporting both disk and tape technologies including StorageTek, NetApp, EMC and Data Domain. He writes at backupbuddha.ca about backup recovery for both the enterprise as well as the home consumer.

He hopes someday to retire to his secret underground base surrounded by an army of robot ninjas. You can follow him on twitter @backupbuddha.

Topics covered were :

• Architecture/anatomy
  • Backup/restore work flows
  • File level restore
  • Changed-block tracking
  • Greenville (6.1) changes
  • Diagnostic and management tools

The discussion was live from the 11th June until the 29th June, 2012 and hosted by Vijay and Dan . Thanks to them both for facilitating a great discussion.

Cheers,

Mark

223 Posts

June 14th, 2012 00:00

Re: Vblock 1K Vm backup to AVE+DD

Hello Vijay,

Thanks for your answers.

You are right, the  customer has 2 isolated VLANs, so his idea is to have a seperate NIC for each. But i like the idea to have a AVE per VLAN, lets see if the customer likes it too ;-)

I don´t understand what you mean with "backing up VMs with NO network"?

June 14th, 2012 07:00

What I meant was :  Avamar does not require the VM to have ANY network connection.

The backup is completely independent of the network that the VM connects to.

June 14th, 2012 07:00

Hi Tony -

I noticed you logged-in to the FTP site as "anonymous" , and I can see the directory you created, but I have the same issue - I cannot see the file name.

If you can re-upload and give me the file name, I can access that.

The more common way to upload is to login with the credentials  avamar_ftp/anonymous - note that the PASSWORD is anonymous. This puts the upload at a different location that I can browse.

June 14th, 2012 16:00

Followed your instructions Vijay, still not sure if it has uploaded. File name is sadoc3_log.zip Hope you can find this.

June 14th, 2012 17:00

Hello Tony:

I finally discovered where your uploaded files were hiding - after I found this piece of information on an internal site:

Due to a data security concerns, all files stored on ftp.emc.com/incoming  will be immediately moved to the same folder structure on and be accessible on the EMC network ...

Anonymous access to ftp.emc.com/incoming is write only for files.

Anlyzing your file shows that your VM "sadoc3" has 2 virtual disks. Their Backup times and change rates are:

• sadoc3.vmdk:     20G  Change rate: 0.03% Backup time: 26 min
  • sadoc3_1.vmdk 100G Change rate: 15.58% Backup time 3 hr 13 min.

The entire backup had 73599 changed  blocks.

On the 5.0 Avamar release, we have found that when there are over ~ 50 K changed blocks, there are diminishing returns to changed-block usage, particularly when there are a number of proxies loading the server with changed-block backups. This issue is particularly acute for the older Gen-3 Avamar hardware with 3TB nodes.

If you expect a continued 15% change rate on the second disk, I would recommend NOT using changed-block bakups for this VM.

Alternatively, backup this VM at a non-peak backup time, when there is not as much contention for processing changed-blocks.

5 Posts

June 20th, 2012 04:00

Hello

We have problem with restore time of vm's. We have Avamar 6.0.66 and VMware 5.0 Essential,

so we do not have SCSI HOTADD.

SCSI HOTADD is only in enterprise vmware license.

SSLNBD transport is used. It is very slow due to SSL lib problem.

Is it possible (and how) to use not encrypted transport in avamar  - I think NBD is faster than SSL NBD.

June 20th, 2012 07:00

You can use the flag:

--transport=nbd:nbdssl

to specify that you want it to try "nbd" first, then "nbdssl".

This can be specified in either one of  2 ways:

• Edit the dataset for the vm, and add this flag: In the OPTIONS tab, click "MORE", then add the "attribute" "transport", and the "value" "nbd:nbdssl", and click "+", and save. (Preferred)
  • For each proxy (assuming this is a 6.0 proxy. Path changes for 6.1), create or append to the file  /usr/local/avamar/var/avvcbimage.cmd the command "--transport=nbd:nbdssl" .

Yes - NBD should speed up the backup somewhat, although not as spectacular as hotadd.

143 Posts

June 20th, 2012 19:00

What's up with Avamar not supporting file level restores from VM GPT or dynamic disks?  Neither are new and GPT in particular is becoming more of a standard as large VMs become more common.  Also, why does the Avamar backup job complete with no warning that file-level restore will not be possible?  Honestly, I'd expect more from a product from a company with a significant stake in VMware.

Also, why is mapping data stores to proxies such a pain?  Consider an environment where you have multiple large ESX clusters, each with their own set of datastores.  That is an awful lot of configuration and maintenance to keep datastore mapping up to date so backups use hotadd transport mode as often as possible.

Are there any plans to offer auto-discovery capabilities for VMs?  Perhaps something similar to the different type of affinities other products offer?

June 21st, 2012 06:00

The File-level-restore (FLR) partition restrictions all come from vmWare's implementation limitations.

Avamar code basically uses the equivalent of vmware-mount, to mount the backed-up vmdk.

Since the restore restrictions are imposed by vmWare implementation (which may change), the Avamar software does not make a determination of FLR restore at backup time.

Re: Mapping data stores - I agree it could probably be rule-driven to make things easier. I will advise product management of your suffering.

Auto discovery of vm's is in an imminent release.

27 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 11:00

Hello guys,

I´m trying to perform a File Level Restore from a Image Backup. The problem is that fails after a few minutes with the following message:

avvmwfile Error <0000>: File level restore failed.

I´ve noticed that at the time that the backup fails, the proxy has already dismounted the VMDK.

I suppose there is a time out. If that is the case ... Where is it configured? Can I change this value?.

Thanks and regards.

27 Posts

Se7en,

I don´t have problem with all restores. Only large restores fail.

Do you still think it´s a permissions problem?.

In this case... Where do I check these permissions?

55 Posts

Hi!

What permissions do you have set on the vcenter account?

5 Posts

June 25th, 2012 04:00

Hi all.

I have problem with file level restore proxy. When I try to restore files from windows wm, the list of files is empty - without any allert or error.

Axionfs and samba works fine - I can access files from proxy.

Where can I find logs or something that can help me to check what is the problem?

55 Posts

June 25th, 2012 11:00

In vcenter go to administration and roles

You should have created a custon role and it should have the following permissions.

DatStore

Allocate Space

Browse Datastore

Low level file operations

Move Datastore

Remove Datastore

Remove file

Rename Datastore

Folder

Create folder

Global

Cancel Task

Log event

Settings

Network

Assign network

Resource

Assgin virtual machine resource pool

Sessions

Validate sesion

Task

Create

Update

Virtual Machine

Configuration

Interaction

Inventory

Provision

State

Vnetwork distributed switch

create

delete

host operation

modify

move

network IO control

policy operation

port config

port setting

vspan operation

55 Posts

June 25th, 2012 11:00

Are there specific backups affected? Have you run a manual backup?

No Events found!