Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2012 13:00

Avamar with VMware backup /restore

Discussing Avamar with VMware backup / restore with Vijay_(Avamar) and Dan Gauld (@backupbuddha)

Welcome to this EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This discussion covers Avamar with VMware backup.

Your hosts for this conversation were:

https://community.emc.com/docs/profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=6002&size=350

Vijay_(Avamar), an EMC employee (Avamar) who has a diverse background in IT, including System administration, IT management, Software development (System level,  Applications, Databases, Web), VoIP, network administration,Database administration, system security, Microsoft technologies, Linux, and systems support. He has extensive expertise in Avamar clients, virtualization, Microsoft technologies.

https://community.emc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-17034-1-39639/233-284/DanGauld.JPG
se7en  (Dan Gauld) is an IT professional (Partner) @ Mainland Information System,based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  Focused in the area of backup/recovery and data storage for the last 7 years, He has performed numerous assessments, deployments and upgrades for NetBackup, Backup Exec, Networker, Avamar and Commvault infrastructures.

Being familiar with best practices both specific and general for these environments has enabled him to quickly identify inefficiencies and possible improvements that can be made in technology and process. Experienced in supporting both disk and tape technologies including StorageTek, NetApp, EMC and Data Domain. He writes at backupbuddha.ca about backup recovery for both the enterprise as well as the home consumer.

He hopes someday to retire to his secret underground base surrounded by an army of robot ninjas. You can follow him on twitter @backupbuddha.

Topics covered were :

• Architecture/anatomy
  • Backup/restore work flows
  • File level restore
  • Changed-block tracking
  • Greenville (6.1) changes
  • Diagnostic and management tools

The discussion was live from the 11th June until the 29th June, 2012 and hosted by Vijay and Dan . Thanks to them both for facilitating a great discussion.

Cheers,

Mark

27 Posts

June 25th, 2012 15:00

Se7en,

I had no custom role in vCenter environment.

I created a custom role with proped permissions. After that, I included a user (myDomain\avamar). The vmwAgentService runs with this service.

I repeated the procedure but the result was the same.

Andrés Zanotta

Operador - Information & Technology

Discount Bank LA

Rincón 390 , Montevideo, Uruguay.

Tel: 916-4848 int 0219

E-mail: azanotta@discbank.com.uy

55 Posts

So you can perform some GRT restores, but the large ones fail? This would indicate all our permissions should be good.

55 Posts

Are you restoring back to the original location? If so please try redirecting to a different location.

5 Posts

June 25th, 2012 23:00

I can't select any file to restore, the list of files is empty. When I select file restore for any windows VM, after few seconds  I should see the directory and files tree, but see the EMPTY  text. Nothing to select. I try to find some information where is the problem, but I don’t know where to search. All backups are affected. 

June 26th, 2012 07:00

Are you attempting restore from a grid that is a replication target ?

Is the vCenter of the source VM registered to the replication target ?

If these questions do not apply, please open a support ticket for assistance.

June 26th, 2012 07:00

Please open a support ticket, if you still have this issue.

Support personnel have tools to help diagnose permissions and other configuration issues.

June 26th, 2012 18:00

Thanks for the reply Vijay.

I will look at turning off CBT for this backup as it is not being uesed. We have not upgraded our proxy servers following the move to 6.0, would this make  difference?

Also any news on the GA release of 6.1 and would ther be any peroformance benifits with that for this situation?

June 27th, 2012 09:00

The GA release 6.1  was late last week.

Upgrading your proxies to 6.0 would help resolve a number of old bugs that existed in the initial 5.0 release, but these are apparently not affecting you. You are not likely to see a performance benefit in 6.0, and a minor performance benefit in 6.1. The underlying CBT backup mechanism has not changed, but the communication path between the proxy and the vcenter has improved considerably in 6.1.

666 Posts

July 2nd, 2012 01:00

This Ask the Expert discussion is now concluded. Thanks to all participants for your questions and comments. And thanks to our Experts, Dan and Vijay for their replies and expertise. The discussion is now locked. It will soon be moved to the Avamar Support Forum where it will be reopened as a regular discussion for all to ask and reply to.

Again thanks to all involved Community members. It really is your community and you are the stakeholders in this. If you wish to see other topics on Avamar take place as an Ask The Expert event, or for any other topic on any EMC product let us know. We'd be delighted to host that for our Community. And if you want to be the Expert for one of these sessions, then also reach and let us know. We'd love to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Mark

Your EMC Support Community Manager

666 Posts

August 21st, 2012 08:00

This discussion is now residing in the Avamar Support Forum. It is now open for continued discussion as a normal discussion thread. Dan and Vijay may drop in from time time but the discussion is open to all community members who wish to contribute.

No Events found!