Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

March 16th, 2010 16:00

Backups dropping out after 8 hours

Hi all,

Since we upgraded to version 5, our longest running backup has been dropping out after exaclty 8 hours of running with the following message:

2010-03-16 02:00:30 avtar Warning <7477>: Cancel request from server

This was not the case before, and there was no setting change within the policy.

Any ideas anyone?

many thanks,

Zlatan

5 Posts

March 16th, 2010 16:00

Sorry, here are the two error messages that have been popping up:

2010-03-15 02:00:29 avtar Warning <7477>: Cancel request from server
2010-03-15 02:00:34 avtar Info <7163>: Backup CANCELLED, wrapping-up session with Server

1 Message

March 17th, 2010 01:00

I think you should look at the 'backup windows duration' lengh if you use schedule.

In this case, you can use 'allow overtime' option for this client.

207 Posts

March 17th, 2010 03:00

If you backup are running after 6 PM they will automatically gets canceled even if you allow overtime (version 5.0).

If this is you initial backup then stop the maintenance and complete the backup and schedule it in such a way so that i completes before 6:00 AM in the morning

Below command will stop your maintainence

dpnctl stop maint

Once the initial backups get completed, you can start the maintainence again

dpnctl start maint

5 Posts

March 17th, 2010 14:00

HI Alex,

The backup window duration for the schedule is set to 14 hours, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Now, as for the 'Allow overtime' option, I cannot for the life of me find it anywhere (I'm pretty new to this game), so if you don't mind, could you please point me in the right direction.

cheers,

Zlatan

5 Posts

March 17th, 2010 14:00

Amol,

The backup is starting at 6:00pm and getting stopped at 2:00am every night. It is not the initial backup, as we were running them before the upgrade, and to my knowledge, the dataset did not get wiped during the upgrade. There should be stuff already there from previous backups.

I am a little confused by you comment on 6:00pm. If the Blackout and Maintenance windows are all day (8am - 8pm), when should I be starting my backups?

Please let me know your thoughts.

thanks,

Zlatan

207 Posts

March 18th, 2010 02:00

Zlatan,

I Apologize there was a typo, I mean after 6 AM. If your blackout window is from 8 AM to 8 AM that means your backup can run till 8 AM in the morning.

If the backup jobs are getting cancelled at 2:00 AM please make sure that schedule is not changes, i saw your comment that it was set to run for 14 hours but please cross verify it again.

Regards

Amol

14 Posts

March 24th, 2010 11:00

For overtime, in your Avamar administrator, go to Policy, then click the clients tab, browse to the client and edit the client.  Overtime should be listed on that first screen there.

To check your blackout window (which would also kill your backups on 5.0), go to tools->Manage Schedules  and click on the maintenence window tab.  You will see in there the blackout window.  If it's 2am for you it could be why your backups are failing.

Are you in the same timezone as your avamar grid?

266 Posts

March 26th, 2010 11:00

Zlatane,

Can you exclude some networking operation stuffs during the backup ?
I mean some virus scanning, firewall tasks ... other 3rd party utility activity ....

I would suggest you to start client initiated backup "avtar" to see if the backup works properly in that case (a workaround maybe)  ... or backup (as it seams to be) just brake because of client - server communication.

Did you check system log files on both side ?

Please can you put verbose and debug to trace signals and get more information on this one .

regards,
Rej

5 Posts

April 5th, 2010 23:00

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your suggestions and replies.

After fiddling with the schedules and maintenance windows, I managed to get the backup to run more than 8 hours. I am uncertain as to exactly what the problem was, but it seems to be ok now. It only gets interrupted when maintenance windows starts, which is now a new issues we need to look at. But, I'll leave that for another thread and another time.

Thanks again for your input.

Zlatan

No Events found!