Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2014 07:00

Cannot log in to AVE remotely

I'm a Avamar newbie, and have a dumb question.

How do I log into the AVE or the proxy from Putty or anything outside of the vSphere console. I have the ssh service running but the system will only let me log into the CLI from the console. This goes for any user.

Thanks.

2K Posts

November 5th, 2014 09:00

Accounts created through the Avamar Administrator cannot be used to log in at the OS level.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

oh yeah, i had that issue too. Go to the console and change the password there (passwd).

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

didn't you get to assign it an IP address where you were you deploying the OVA ?

309 Posts

Yes. I get the login prompt when I Putty to it. It just doesn't take my credentials. It's almost as if I'm typing the wrong password. The same password works when logging in with the vSphere console.

2K Posts

November 5th, 2014 08:00

Please don't use passwd to change the Avamar passwords. There is a utility called change-passwords for this.

What version of Avamar is this? There were some security enhancements made in Avamar 7.1 including disabling remote root access.

In any case, it is not recommended to log into the Avamar server as root unless higher privileges are specifically required (e.g. if you're changing the network configuration). Almost everything in Avamar should be done as admin.

309 Posts

I did some more testing. The AVE doesn't like any user except admin to log in outside of the console (Putty).  We are running version 7.1.0.370. Also, I created another user called "emc". The AVE doesn't let me in with that one either. The new account does work in the fat client though.

309 Posts

That didn't work. I am trying to log in as root from putty. I was able to do was to log in as admin from putty then su to root. Is this the way it's supposed to work. Why can't I log in with root outside of the console?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

do you see #PermitRootLogin yes in /etc/ssh/sshd_config  ?

2K Posts

Creating additional user accounts on an Avamar server is not supported. I know it looks like Linux but treating it like Just a Linux Box will turn around and bite you sooner or later.

309 Posts

AVE.jpg

I created the new user through the admin GUI, not the CLI.

2K Posts

Happy to help!

One more thing since this is a common point of confusion -- there are two root users on an Avamar server. The OS root user (default password: changeme) can be used to make OS-level changes like network reconfiguration. The DPN root user (default password: 8RttoTriz) is an Avamar software account. These two accounts are not related in any way.

309 Posts

This all makes sense, thanks guys.

309 Posts

Just what I need, more confusion. 

No Events found!