Highlighted
alxsantizo
1 Copper

Changing timezone on avamar storage nodes

Hi,

So I changed the ntp settings with akstime on the Avamar Utility server and it changed everything alright throughout the rest of the nodes but it did not change the time zone on any of them and as a result I am getting errors. All the nodes are syncing with the ntp servers just fine but they have the wrong timezone, how do I change it on the storage nodes ? Do I run asktime with a switch ? Also what document shows commands like mapall and asktime (neither of these commands were in the Administrators guide)

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

Re: Changing timezone on avamar storage nodes

Could you paste the error messages you are seeing into a reply to this message?

Avamar storage nodes always run in UTC. This is by design. Changing the time zone on the data nodes could cause issues on the server.

Commands such as mapall and asktime are intended to be used by support which is why they do not appear in the customer-facing documentation.

0 Kudos
alxsantizo
1 Copper

The only errors I am getting are consequences of having timezones differ on the servers. So why does asktime allow me to change timezones if it is not meant to do so ?

0 Kudos
ionthegeek
4 Beryllium

There are no error messages I know of that would appear because the time zones differ which is why I was interested to see the messages themselves.

The asktime utility will allow you to change the timezone of the utility node. It will never change the timezone of the data nodes. Changing the time zone of the utility node will not cause operational issues. That said, there are some known issues with time zones for which the Operating System does not have an available time zone definition. The recommended workaround if there is no valid time zone definition for your time zone is to run the utility node in UTC.

0 Kudos
aviraikkonen
2 Bronze

I changed my utility timezone to UTC but still in manage schedules I see my timezone as BST. How can I change that ?

0 Kudos