Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2012 15:00

Determining garbage collected?

Is there a way to determine what was removed (even at a host level, forget about individual atomics) during a garbage collection run?

I have two grids in steady state. Both take backups, and there is cross replication (but minimal data replicated from one side). A couple of days ago, I saw that there was a significantly large GC run: Last GC: finished Sat Apr 21 08:02:23 2012 after 01h 47m >> recovered 1069.56 GB (OK). I would like to better understand the source of the data that was removed. Doable?

544 Posts

April 25th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

I dont think that is doable, I am sure that you can get the total amount of storage space in bytes that was recovered during the last garbage collection

activity and  Total number of data chunks that were deleted during the last garbage collection activity. But if you are looking for a list of files has been removed, I believe this is not doable. May be some of the Avamar gurus here come back with other thoughts as i am not sure

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

18 Posts

April 26th, 2012 10:00

Just to be perfectly clear -- i'm not really looking for deleted files or atomics specifically. I'm more searching for which host/CID *owned* files/atomics that were removed as part of GC.

133 Posts

April 26th, 2012 12:00

Each Chunk of data stored in the GSAN does not have a reference list of which Backup sets reference it. It only has a reference count, that is, how often it is referenced by a backup set. Storing backwards references for each chunk would take up too much space in the available storage.

That is why this type of report would not be possible.

240 Posts

April 26th, 2012 12:00

So if I am understanding you correctly, you are looking for a list that shows how much information was removed for which client.

To the best of my knowledge this is not available.

You can get a list of how much was deleted for each day, but that is about all I know of.

As for the amount removed, I suspect it may well have been because the retention for a client had expired and that this was data from the first backup that is no longer needed on the server.

No Events found!