Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2015 06:00

ESX Server instead of vCenter integrated into MCS

Hi,

I know that it technically works to have the ESX server integrated into the Avamar MCS instead of the vCenter. My question now is, whether this is officially supported. The reason why I ask is that one of my customers want to design a disaster recovery procedure where all the vCenter are gone but only the ESX servers still run. He wants to do a recovery of the vCenter server VMs (image level restore) with a newly deployed proxy and go from there.

Thanks and regards,

Ludwig

40 Posts

February 18th, 2015 06:00

Ludwig,

It is officially supported on two different scenarios:

1. Support for minimal customer configurations. Some customer sites use a simple VMware topology, comprising a single ESX host, with one or more virtual machines residing on that ESX host. These sites typically do not implement a vCenter management layer. However, the virtual machines residing on a standalone ESX host still must be backed up in order to protect against data loss. Adding the standalone ESX host as an Avamar vCenter client enables those virtual machines to be backed up with image backup, rather than guest backup.

2. Virtual vCenter disaster recovery. Adding an ESX host as an Avamar vCenter client can be useful when virtual machines residing on a particular ESX host must be restored, but the vCenter is not operational. This is often the case when a virtual vCenter must be recovered from Avamar backups. Adding the standalone ESX host as an Avamar vCenter client enables the vCenter management infrastructure virtual machines to be restored so that the vCenter can be restarted.

Yours is the second one, so check VMware guide "Protecting ESX Hosts" for limitations and further information.

Rgds

15 Posts

February 18th, 2015 07:00

Many thanks for the comprehensive explanation, Arturo!

47 Posts

July 11th, 2017 08:00

yes this is possible to add an ESX host as a vmware client however a restore is asking for a proxy. How do we get Avamar to not use a proxy and use another form of restore method?

My assumption with vmware integrations is that if hot-add (proxy) is not available then NBD (networking) should be used.

No Events found!