Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2012 06:00

Error 10007 when backing up VMs

Since implementing Avamar, I'm getting an error on several VMs similar to the following:

Error Code: 10007

I've done some research, but I'm unable to get a clear picture of where the problem lies.   It looks like it could be a problem with change block tracking, so I disabled that, created a snapshot of a couple of VMs, consolidated the snapshots and deleted them, but still no joy.

I'm running Avamar 6.1.0 - 402 and ESX 5.1.

If anyone has encountered this and has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.  Please let me know if you need any other information. Thanks.

Eric Marriott

A bit more information on this.  The log above was obtained from Administrator / Activity

Below is what shows in the event detail under Administrator / Administration / Event Management:

The data section contains the client's hostname.  Either the client machine has been assigned a new hostname, or an attempted security breach has been detected.  If this client has been assigned a new hostname, first use the Policy dialog to unactivate the client, then re-activate the client, which will update the client list to reflect the new hostname.

I could easily take those steps on a physiscal server, but am unsure how to go about doing this on a wide scale for several VMs, while preserving backups.

143 Posts

November 27th, 2012 10:00

dstarm wrote:

i am running into the same issue. I have tried all flavors of the quiesce = false options and keep getting

invalid flag or Invalid boolean value 'false

In the dataset options panel i  select: windows vmware image

and in the attribute window I enter:    quiesce_fs

then in the 'attribute value panel' i enter:    false

Try entering "[avvcbimage]quiesce_fs" (just like it is typed but without quote marks) in the attribute window.  Make sure you don't have any typos, different case letters, or space/special characters.  Do the same thing for "false" in the attribute value panel.

2K Posts

November 27th, 2012 10:00

2012-11-26 22:28:24 avvcbimage Error <5062>: Invalid boolean value '=false ' for 'quiesce_fs' flag

There's a stray = and trailing space in this flag.

2012-11-26 22:32:36 avvcbimage Error <5062>: Invalid boolean value 'false  ' for 'quiesce_fs' flag

There are trailing spaces in this flag.

Please try removing the flag and re-adding it by typing the value in as 'false' (without the quotation marks). If this works, I will file a request for enhancement to have the GUI strip trailing spaces before saving parameters.

124 Posts

November 27th, 2012 11:00

That did ii Thank you.

Now I am wondering why … there is enough space on the datastore and the VMguest had sufficient space.

I did note the Vmware tools are out of date.

Thank you,

Debbie

2K Posts

November 27th, 2012 12:00

I have filed a request for enhancement to strip leading and trailing white space from attributes and attribute values before they are saved.

For Windows systems, most quiesce failures are caused by VSS issues. If these are Windows VMs, I would recommend reviewing the system and application event logs for warnings and errors reported for vss or volsnap.

20 Posts

March 27th, 2013 12:00

We have been dealing with these backups.  It looks like some/most were VSS issues in windows.  Until today when our testing of vsphere 5.1 & avamar 6.1.101-87 have shown a bug causing new application quiescing errors.  I am now forced to disable application quiescing all together after the 5.1 Upgrade.  This is a know issue:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2035736

Here is the workaround I performed:

Avamar 6.1.1 and vCenter/ESXi 5.1 support

Disable the vmware " VMware Snapshot Provider" Service.

164 Posts

August 13th, 2013 01:00

What is the latest EMC Avamar version that supports VCenter 5.1u1 ?

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

August 13th, 2013 01:00

The latest EMC Avamar Server version is 7.0.

Avamar 6.1 is compatible with VMware vCenter v4.0.0,v4.0 Update1, v4.0 Update 2, v4.1,v4.1i,v5.0,v5.0 Update 1, v5.0i,v5.0i Update 1, v5.1, v5.1 Update 1, v5.1i, v5.1i Update 1

Avamar 7.0 is compatible with VMware vCenter v4.0.0,v4.0 Update1, v4.0 Update 2, v4.1,v4.1i,v5.0,v5.0 Update 1, v5.0i,v5.0i Update 2, v5.1, v5.1 Update 1, v5.1i, v5.1i Update 1

173 Posts

August 13th, 2013 02:00

Avamar 7 has not been officially released yet…

164 Posts

August 13th, 2013 03:00

Thanks man for the clarification, so in this case when it will be released ?

Kind Regards,

Al

--

Disclaimer: This email was sent from my iPhone, apologize for any typographical error.

Community Manager

• 

6.1K Posts

August 13th, 2013 18:00

Yes. Avamar Server 7.0 has not been officially released yet. It will be release soon, looking forward it~~

6 Posts

August 14th, 2013 04:00

Brett_Herman wrote:

We have been dealing with these backups.  It looks like some/most were VSS issues in windows.  Until today when our testing of vsphere 5.1 & avamar 6.1.101-87 have shown a bug causing new application quiescing errors.  I am now forced to disable application quiescing all together after the 5.1 Upgrade.  This is a know issue:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2035736

Here is the workaround I performed:

Avamar 6.1.1 and vCenter/ESXi 5.1 support

Disable the vmware " VMware Snapshot Provider" Service.

This KB absolutely works. We were having a problem with Avamar backing up our Vcenter and VSQL servers in our environment. This fix absolutely resolved the issue for us. Try this step before doing anything with Quiesce alteration.

498 Posts

August 15th, 2013 10:00

make sure you have your option correct it is 2 v's not a w

[ a v v c b i m a g e ] q u i e s c e _ f s = f a l s e

498 Posts

August 19th, 2013 16:00

be sure you are adding it correctly

it is 2 v's  not a 'w'

[ a v v c b i m a g e ] q u i e s c e _ f s = f a l s e

12 Posts

August 27th, 2013 14:00

I get this for different reasons.

This error only happens when I am performing an Image Level Backup (ILB)

In no particular order of priority.

1. The server has been deleted and re-added by the VMWare team.

The Avamar administrator must retire the server out of the ILB section of the Avamar Admin GUI, and then re-add the server as if it were a new server.

2. The server is using a LUN that was thin provisioned.  This LUN has become full at some point previously in its life and there is plenty of disk space now, VMWare says that the LUN is full, and therefore the snapshot will not be created.

The VMWare team needs to add a thick provisioned LUN to the server, then copy the data from the thin provisioned LUN to the thick provisioned LUN, and then delete the thin provisioned LUN.

3. The SAN team or the VMWare team added or deleted LUNS without telling you.

You must locate the proxy servers within the Avmare Admin GUI, and edit each proxy one at a time.

On the Datastore tab, click on Select All to ensure that all of the LUNs are selected.

You may have to do this every day before your backups start if you VMWare team are adding or deleting servers on a daily basis.  Hopefully you already have a script that runs once a day to tell you which server names have been added or deleted from Active Directory.

I hope this is helpful.

15 Posts

December 29th, 2019 13:00

Just wanted to chime in that I was running into a 10007 error (also found 30999 somewhere in the logs or maybe Avamar event ID) on a freshly P2V'd server. This was causing the backups to fail and, I believe, for CBT to be ignored because it was just trying to perform a level 0, initial backup each time. Ran across "avvcbimage Warning <43586>: GetExcludeFileSectors::Get partition driver letter failed" warnings in the vmimagew.log file, but didn't pay it any attention because "warning". Whelp, when the server was P2V'd, I inadvertently also brought over the 40MB DELL OEM partition as well as a 0MB partition of unknown provenance. I was able to use diskpart (had to use "delete partition override" parameter) to delete both of those partitions, and now backup has completed successfully. Waiting to see if it performs a CBT-based incremental tonight. Thank you!

No Events found!